The Two Mrs. Carrolls
The Two Mrs. Carrolls
Humphrey Bogart plays a psychotic killer who disposes of his wives through slow ingestion of poison in The Two Mrs. Carrolls, made in 1945 but shelved for two years because of its similarity to Gaslight. Bogart is Geoffrey Carroll, an artist who paints a portrait of his wife as "The Angel of Death" and then meets Sally Morton (Barbara Stanwyck), with whom he quickly falls in love. In order to get rid of his wife and take up with Sally, Geoffrey slowly poisons his spouse by lacing her nightly glass of warm milk with liberal doses of toxic chemicals. He sends his daughter Beatrice (Ann… More

- -

"It seems to run quite long for as simple of a story it is. Most of the plot is revealed in dialogue, and the suspense isn't as strong as it could be."
‑ Kevin Carr, 7M Pictures
"Inert and overwrought crime/melodrama that never gets over being stagy despite the teaming of Humphrey Bogart and Barbara Stanwyck."
"Bogart's final seconds onscreen are played for comedy; it's as if the movie itself is winking at us, to apologize for its Gothic-suspense absurdity, but also to get us to admit we enjoyed our time together."
‑ John Beifuss, Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN)
"... a handsomely mounted and nicely acted piece, especially when the two Hollywood greats share the screen."
‑ Sean Axmaker, Seanax.com