The Wedding Party
The Wedding Party
Steve Thompson, a lovable anti-hero, is the youngest son in the gloriously flawed Thompson family. In a bid to save himself from financial ruin, Steve does the unthinkable and agrees to marry Ana, a Russian woman seeking residency in exchange for a huge sum of cash. Behind closed doors the deal is done, a secret wedding is arranged & in no time life will be back to normal, or so Steve thinks... Until a nosy family friend gets wind of the wedding plans and before sundown the whole Thompson family is gripped by wedding fever. Although Steve's family could use some constructive therapy for… More

Buy SD $9.99 Rent SD $2.99
- -
Subscription
Stream Now

"Clumsily cobbled, tonally confused romantic comedy...a terrific premise with strong leads is sadly derailed by too many side stories."
‑ Jim Schembri, 3AW
"The improbabilities and sheer banality of Christine Bartlett's screenplay are almost overcome by the quality of the cast, but not quite."
‑ Margaret Pomeranz, At the Movies (Australia)
"By injecting a comical twist into a serious subject matter, a variety of issues and illusions are canvassed. As a result, the journey we take is a complicated and enjoyable one"
‑ Louise Keller, Urban Cinefile
"An offbeat and entertaining ensemble piece that disappointingly ends on a lukewarm note."
‑ , FILMINK (Australia)
"The Wedding Party may well have been a better film if the underdone premise of the fake wedding had been done away with altogether, because the movie is more interesting when it picks at the foibles and fears that gather around these couples."
‑ Craig Mathieson, sbs.com.au
"I don't think it's a film that aims very high and it sort of achieves what it aims to do, I think. I found it perfectly amiable."
‑ David Stratton, At the Movies (Australia)
"All is well if you accept as plausible the central premise of the screenplay ... For me ... is just too far fetche"
‑ Andrew L. Urban, Urban Cinefile