The Wendell Baker Story
The Wendell Baker Story
Owen, Luke, and Andrew Wilson combine their fraternal filmmaking talents to tell the character-driven tale of a small-time con man who gets a fortuitous shot at redemption while working in a run down retirement community. Wendell Baker (Luke Wilson) is a con man whose large heart betrays his criminal mind. Confident to a fault and consistently cool-headed, Baker is the kind of grifter who's always quick with a comeback and never lets the law get in the way of making a quick buck. When Wendell is busted for selling counterfeit Texas driver's licenses to undocumented Mexican migrant… More

"Given Luke Wilson's affability, it's also irresistibly charming. You may not buy the film's plot, but you'll invest in him as a man whose heart is always in the right place."
‑ Bruce Westbrook, Houston Chronicle
"Though the first Wilson brothers' effort, Bottle Rocket, is far superior, the trio of brothers working together creates a light and enjoyable comic romp."
‑ Claudia Puig, USA Today
"I haven't seen this many old coots getting up to no good since Cocoon."
‑ Heather Huntington, ReelzChannel.com
"This isn't anything to write home about, but is pleasant enough. I"
‑ Eric Lurio, Entertainment Insiders
"I hate to sound like a disappointed parent, but I expected more from Luke Wilson."
‑ Josh Rosenblatt, Austin Chronicle
"I think it's one of the worst movies of the year. I think it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"Wendell Baker isn't perfect. The slacker humor grows cloying at times. Still, there's an undeniable charm to the Texas tale as it celebrates nonconformity and redemption."
‑ Lisa Rose, Newark Star-Ledger
"Wilson bros' uneven comedy has dark undertones."
‑ S. Jhoanna Robledo, Common Sense Media
"There's a reason this film sat on the shelf for over two years, it's wildly uneven in spots, but there's also moments where you can see that there's a good idea and film trying to get out."
‑ Michelle Alexandria, Eclipse Magazine
"Despite a terribly conceived coda, Luke and his brothers have mostly succeeded, thanks in large part to sharp dialogue, a solid vintage soundtrack and some great older actors from the heyday of American cinema."
‑ Ken Fox, TV Guide's Movie Guide
"Here's something satisfying: '70s-cinema fetishism with the courage of its convictions."
‑ Mark Holcomb, Time Out New York
"Though the Wilsons are no threat to the Coens as filmmakers, The Wendell Baker Story is still a pleasingly human-scaled alternative to the big, soulless Hollywood blockbusters."
‑ Lou Lumenick, New York Post
"just a shaggy dog story dressed up in cowboy boots and a cool belt."
‑ Ted Murphy, Murphy's Movie Reviews
"That they've assembled a first-rate cast made up of veteran character actors and contemporary comedy stars to pursue this agenda makes The Wendell Baker Story all the more effective."
‑ Jim Hemphill, Reel.com
"Wendell Baker doesn't particularly cotton to outsized ambitions. Check your expectations at the door, and you might enjoy yourself."
‑ Glenn Whipp, Los Angeles Daily News