The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
Telegraph Hill is a neighborhood in one of the hillier sections of San Francisco that over the years has become home to a large flock of wild parrots. While no one is certain how they got there, the birds were for the most part left to their own devices until they were discovered by Mark Bittner. A street musician and self-described "Dharma bum," Bittner had no practical background in ornithology when he first encountered the parrots, but it wasn't long before he developed a close bond with them and took it upon himself to feed and care for the birds, and even gave many of them… More

"The beautiful shots of San Francisco's lush Telegraph Hill are captivating by themselves, but the film's greatest achievement is its humanity."
‑ Marta Barber, Miami Herald
"Charming, intelligent entertainment that should attract the same family audiences that flocked to Winged Migration in 2001."
‑ John Monaghan, Detroit Free Press
"A documentary which captures an eccentric ornithologist communing with his flock with an intimacy that's almost unimaginable."
‑ Kam Williams, Sly Fox
"In the spirit of all good documentaries, Wild Parrots transcends its ostensive subject."
‑ Matt McNally, BBC.com
"Even though it's only August, I'm not going out on a limb when I say that "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill" is one of the best films of the year."
‑ Linda Cook, KWQC-TV (Iowa)
"A bright window into the wild kingdom just outside our door that most of us barely notice, if at all."
‑ Peter Howell, Toronto Star
"Profile of a gentle, caring, and sensitive man who models for us the empathy and respect we should have for all animals large and small."
‑ Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, Spirituality and Practice
"Irving captures some memorable images… but generally relies on the birds' natural photogenic charm as well as the human dimensions of the drama to sustain the 83-minute film."
‑ Steven D. Greydanus, Decent Films Guide
"The birds...are a natural subject for a documentary film, but in the end Judy Irving's film is as much or more about Mark Bittner, a self-appointed guardian of the flock, than it is about the birds themselves."
‑ Arthur Lazere, culturevulture.net
"How animals can sometimes, like art, serve as a reflection of the hopes and fears of their caretakers."
‑ Walter Chaw, Film Freak Central
"A cornball charmer of a film with some beautiful birds and homespun wisdom."
‑ Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail
"Fall in love with these brave and beautiful birds."
‑ Nell Minow, Common Sense Media
"Perhaps if Judy Irving's The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill had been released in any other year, I wouldn't be so judgmental and hard to please"
‑ Chris Cabin, Filmcritic.com
"Amusing, touching and satisfying, this gentle yet probing little doco is a hand made movie whose simplicity and its subject matter are pluses."
‑ Urban Cinefile Critics, Urban Cinefile
"Parrots not so wild.Documentary shows quirks but not much else."
‑ Angela Baldassarre, Sympatico.ca