The Wind Will Carry Us
This idiosyncratic drama from Iran begins as a jeep winds through the hills of Kurdistan, containing an engineer (Behzad Dourani) and his two assistants (whom we never see) as they search for a small village in the mountains. When they arrive, they are greeted by a young boy, who shows them a place they can stay and guides the engineer to the home of an old woman (also never seen) who seems to be dying. No one is sure what the engineer and his men are doing there; some locals think he's keeping watch of the old woman and wants to purchase her land when she dies, while others think he could… More

"This is a deeply, patiently observational film, and the details Kiarostami emphasizes ... seem somehow profound in their banality, a mystery of ineffable beauty."
‑ Calum Marsh, Village Voice
"In nothing else do all of [Kiarostami's] concerns come together in such a satisfying, complete whole."
‑ Tim Brayton, Antagony & Ecstasy
"If you're the sort of person who just adores extremely slow-moving foreign films with a dearth of actual plot, go for it, but the rest of you have been warned."
‑ Luke Y. Thompson, New Times
"A mesmerizing Iranian film that keeps reminding us that the mysteries of life and death cannot be manipulated or controlled."
‑ Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, Spirituality and Practice
"Magical realism without the magic. Wonderment comes from rural people (and goats, chicken, and cattle) being themselves--caught in the moment by a director with an affinity for ordinary people."
‑ Louis Proyect, rec.arts.movies.reviews
"One of the 90s' great films."
‑ Jake Euker, F5 (Wichita, KS)
"I remain a devot of Kiarostami's style, but Wind feels more arid and extended than most of his pictures."
‑ Nick Davis, Nick's Flick Picks
"By leaving gaps in the story, and allowing us to fill them in, Kiarostami gives new life to the art form, but more importantly, he becomes the vortex for the stories we tell."
‑ Maria Garcia, Film Journal International
"Kiarostami could have just made a documentary, and it would have been fascinating. But his narrative is a way of humbly questioning his own ethics and methods."
‑ Jeffrey Overstreet, Looking Closer
"slowly spellbinding"
‑ Brian Gibson, Vue Weekly (Edmonton, Canada)
"Hypnotic!"
"Abbas Kiarostami's films have a knack for taking us away to a clearer, more vivid place, allowing us to breathe for what seems like the first time in years. He has done that once again, and better than ever before, with his newest film."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid