The World's Greatest Lover
The World's Greatest Lover
After writing, directing, and starring in The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother, Gene Wilder added the producer's hat to his three-headed beast in The World's Greatest Lover. Wilder plays Rudy Valentine, a Milwaukee baker who enters a talent search in the Hollywood of the 1920s, initiated by movie studio mogul Zitz (Dom DeLuise), to find a new Rudolph Valentino. He travels to Hollywood with his wife Annie (Carol Kane) in hopes of taking a screen test, but Annie falls in love with the real Valentino. Jealous of the Latin Lover, Rudy disguises himself as a sheik in an… More

"In a generation that's filled with cynical, ultra-raunchy, dark comedies, this was refreshing to me. There's a certain innocence in this kind of immature humor that I miss from the movies."
‑ Austin Kennedy, Sin Magazine
"Misfire by Gene Wilder who finds he is not Mel Brooks after all."
‑ Steve Crum, Kansas City Kansan
"A shrill, silly farce that starts out with some funny moments but quickly fizzles and ends up being quite lame."
‑ Chuck O'Leary, FulvueDrive-in.com
"This really just doesn't work."
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
"Even those of us with a longtime and well-earned affection for Gene Wilder have to respond to The World's Greatest Lover ... with a dispirited sigh."
‑ Mark Bourne, DVDJournal.com
"The best moments are certainly worth seeing (particularly if, like me, you simply love to see Gene Wilder work) though the film as a whole is screamingly inconsistent."
‑ Scott Weinberg, eFilmCritic.com