The X-Files: I Want to Believe (The X Files 2)

"Only a fan would be inclined to tolerate this dunderheaded mystery."
‑ J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader
"The movie gets into some pretty freaky territory in the third act, but for this casual fan of the series, it's a strong effort featuring some great characters."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"There was a lot of secrecy surrounding the new X-Files movie... But the film's big secret is out now: it sucks."
‑ Steve Newton, Georgia Straight
"The X Files: I Want to Believe ... feels like a TV episode that's been stretched out of shape, like a badly washed jumper"
‑ Jason Best, Movie Talk
"It was darker and murkier, and I didn't enjoy spending time with the characters, as I had on Friday nights more than ten years ago."
‑ Kevin Carr, 7M Pictures
"Casual filmgoers may wonder why theyâ(TM)ve just sat through whatâ(TM)s simply a decent episode writ large."
‑ David Fear, Time Out New York
"There may be no going back, as much as we might want to believe otherwise."
‑ Claudia Puig, USA Today
"Even the apologists will have to admit that this is not the X-Files movie they'd hoped for."
‑ Ali Gray, TheShiznit.co.uk
"A sloppy, second-rate entry in the catalog of standalone X-Files adventures."
‑ Sonny Bunch, Washington Times
"A handful of TV series have moved from lengthy small screen runs to the big screen; few can match The X-Files in consistent quality and ability to engage its audience."
‑ Brian Webster, Apollo Guide
"Lazy plotting, so-so performances and squandered ideas lead to only one diagnosis: there is no compelling reason to keep this moribund formula on a life-support machine."
‑ Nigel Floyd, Time Out
"Astute readers will note that I have abstained from making cheap cracks about the I Want to Believe title, an almost superhuman feat given this movie's abundance of sheer nonsense."
‑ Peter Howell, Toronto Star
"Is it a stirring final hurrah for the show, wrapping up all its dangling plot threads? No. Is it an excellent evocation of what the show was, with a depth of soul and character most thrillers still don't bother with? Yes."
‑ Joshua Starnes, ComingSoon.net
"Leaves a trail of affecting impressions in its wake"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, Slant Magazine
"Unfortunately for this movie, television has evolved well past this degree of silliness and spoon feeding, leaving our beloved X-Files in the vault. I wanted to believe it would be fun movie, but this was definitely time spent."
‑ Karina Montgomery, Cinerina