Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser (Straight, No Chaser )
Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser (Straight, No Chaser )
This documentary of the late jazz great Thelonius Monk) (1917-1982) uses footage taken from 14 hours of European concert performances filmed in 1967-68 by Christian Blackwood. From his childhood in New York City's San Juan Hill, Monk grew up to become one of the most innovative jazz pianists of all time. Monk ushered in the bebop era of the 1940s and influenced such contemporary greats as Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie. Interviews with Monk's manager Harry Colomby and Monk's son and namesake shed light on the character of the jazz giant. Executive producer Clint Eastwood got… More

Buy SD $9.99 -
- -

"We might be moved by Monk's childlike dependency on his wife, baffled by his esoteric humour, honoured simply by his presence, but all we really need now are the records."
‑ , Time Out
"I had heard the music before. What the film gave me was an opportunity to see Thelonious Monk creating some of it, and, just as importantly, an opportunity to see how those who knew him loved him."
"The Monk music that courses through the film is extraordinary in its range of feeling."
‑ Stephen Holden, New York Times
"A lively and loving tribute to the genius of Thelonious Monk."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"The musical value of this footage is so powerful that nothing can deface it, despite the best efforts of Zwerin to do so."
‑ Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader