Things We Lost in the Fire
Things We Lost in the Fire
A woman who lost her husband in a random act of violence and a heroin addict who was a lifelong friend of the dearly departed discover that the beloved husband and friend's unfortunate passing is actually a blessing in disguise in Open Hearts director Susanne Bier's Dogme-style drama. When her husband (David Duchovny) was killed, Audrey Burke (Halle Berry) didn't think she would be able to summon the strength to carry on. Jerry Sunborne (Benicio Del Toro) is a heroin addict who was one of the recently deceased's oldest friends in life, but as a result of his addiction Jerry has… More

"Things We Lost in the Fire is certainly not a comedy, but it is definitely mordant with its two Big Themes: Loss and Addiction, both treated in a singularly heavy-handed manner, for which I blame primarily Mr. Loeb's screenplay."
‑ Andrew Sarris, New York Observer
"The movie is an engrossing melodrama, and it has its heart in the right place."
"Every trace of maudlin evaporates in one of Del Toro's lopsided grins."
‑ Kelly Vance, East Bay Express
"A Susanne Bier film guarantees us a potent emotional journey, and this, Bier's first English language film, dissects hearts and searches for truths."
‑ Louise Keller, Urban Cinefile
"I wish someone had lost this script in the fire."
‑ Staci Layne Wilson, Buzzine Magazine
"Berry gives a riveting performance, but as a deeply decent man trapped in a hell of his own making, Del Toro gives the kind of career performance Berry gave in Monster's Ball."
‑ Jack Mathews, New York Daily News
"Things We Lost in the Fire veers away from the real and hard and toward the fantastic."
‑ Stephen Hunter, Washington Post
"You can't manufacture honest sentiment.... So, I'd have to call the movie a noble miss."
‑ John J. Puccio, Movie Metropolis
"The film felt very anti-climatic to me for some reason."
‑ Kevin McCarthy, WJFK-FM (CBS Radio)
"Things We Lost in the Fire sounds like a made-for-Lifetime weeper. But two superlative performances means "Fire" is anything but a by-the-book drama."
‑ Christian Toto, Washington Times
"It's very strong."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"Its deliberate pacing may put some viewers off, as will the bleakness of the subject matter, but it's worth seeing, mostly to soak up the complex shades of Del Toro's performance."
‑ Claudia Puig, USA Today
"The best part of the film is del Toro's performance, a junkie jumble of many layers, glued together with a deep seated humanity that reaches out to us."
‑ Andrew L. Urban, Urban Cinefile
"Where the film's ambitions crumble is in its avowed refusal to make its audience too uncomfortable."
‑ Alonso Duralde, MSNBC
"Less than profound, but consistently honest, Things We Lost in the Fire is neither triumphant nor great, but it is meaningful."
‑ Brian Webster, Apollo Guide