True Believer
The only True Believer at the beginning of this drama is idealistic young attorney Robert Downey Jr., who apprentices under the guidance of celebrated civil-rights activist James Woods. Alas, in the years since the sixties, Woods has become a disillusioned, dope-smoking ambulance chaser. Goaded by Downey, Woods takes up one last "lost cause:" that of Korean-American prison inmate Yuji Okomoto, who is about to be tried for the self-defense slaying of another prisoner. As Woods investigates, he unearths several iniquities in the trial that sent Okomoto to prison. Despite the fact that… More

"Woods' angry energy is clarifying as well as terrifying, and when he unleashes it (usually without warning), the effect is to focus our attention where it belongs, not on a suspense story but on the mysteries of human behavior."
‑ Richard Schickel, TIME Magazine
"Ruben relies too heavily on Woods' whirring turbines to power his scenes."
‑ Hal Hinson, Washington Post
"Woods clearly relishes his chance to display a wide range of emotions within his patented maverick persona, and Downey also acquits himself well in a much less challenging role."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"Wesley Strick gave them a good script and they made a good, solid crime mystery."
‑ Mark R. Leeper, rec.arts.movies.reviews
"A riveting legal drama."
‑ , Time Out
"What counts in Believer is not what happens but how. This is as good a how as any."
‑ Desson Thomson, Washington Post
"Really clicks as a modern day morality play."
‑ Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, Spirituality and Practice
"When I see Woods on the screen in the first shot of a movie I sort of smile to myself because I know that something strange and offbeat and maybe even inspired is about to happen."
"Woods, as ever, is wired for a fight -- in or outside the courtroom. It's all Downey Jr can do to hold him back."
‑ , Film4
"One of the best courtroom dramas ever made, and a movie that almost nobody knows about. A terrific picture."
‑ Blake Davis, KFOR Channel 4 News