Two Lovers
A depressed young man moves back in with his parents and finds his life turned upside down as he struggles to choose between the beautiful daughter of a close family friend and the scintillating but volatile next-door neighbor whose passion helps to reignite his lust for life. The third screen outing for writer/director James Gray and actor Joaquin Phoenix following We Own the Night and The Yards, Two Lovers co-stars Gwyneth Paltrow, Isabella Rossellini, and Vinessa Shaw. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi

"Phoenix plays that schism -- the damaged soul in a hunky body -- to perfection, so well that we overlook the logical chasm at the centre of the tale."
‑ Rick Groen, Globe and Mail
"If Two Lovers winds up being Phoenix's last movie, at least it offers posterity incontrovertible proof that, once, he was a contender."
‑ Ann Hornaday, Washington Post
"What made the filmmakers come up with such a 1959 scenario? Better yet, how did they make this hoary plot so damned entertaining? Must be movie magic."
‑ Kelly Vance, East Bay Express
"We know the characters better than they know themselves"
‑ Marty Mapes, Movie Habit
"Lugubrious affair involving a young man suffering from weltschmerz and the two women he loves set in Brighton Beach."
‑ Louis Proyect, rec.arts.movies.reviews
"Gray guides his strong cast to a resolution that is both surprising and entirely realistic."
‑ Peter Howell, Toronto Star
"What elevates Two Lovers beyond the mundane is the strength of the performances."
‑ Bill Goodykoontz, Arizona Republic
"Please, don't be fooled by this. It's all showboating scenes, pretentious ideals and NO realism whatsoever."
‑ Mike Edwards, What Culture
"... it's instructive to view director/co-writer ... James Gray's take on the effects of private infidelity."
‑ S. James Wegg, JWR
"This is supposed to be a romantic drama, but Woody Allen could have made a very funny film out of this exact same story."
‑ Robert Roten, Laramie Movie Scope
"Gray's direction lovingly toys with images of containment and release, effectively playing out the drama in visual terms - but we never really feel it."
‑ Trevor Johnston, Time Out
"Phoenix's performance overwhelms the slight story."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"I can't stop thinking about Leonard, how I want him to be free, living an authentic life ... but also to to remain under supervision so he won't mess himself up. Phoenix is brilliant here."
‑ Jeffrey Overstreet, Looking Closer
"Tells a pretty old story but gets you hooked on its atmosphere and how it embellishes the heady sensation of shedding the coldness of solitude and depression with the warmth of walking through a new romance."
‑ Jeffrey Chen, ReelTalk Movie Reviews
"Trying, unwieldy, and affecting"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion