Un Baiser s'il vous plaît (Shall We Kiss?)
Un Baiser s'il vous plaît (Shall We Kiss?)
Emmanuel Mouret's romantic comedy Shall We Kiss? begins with two strangers who end up attracted to each other, even though they both are involved in relationships with others. The woman refuses to kiss the man goodnight after a dinner together, explaining that a single kiss can alter a life. This set-up acts as a framing device for the main story, a tale she shares with him about friends who complicate their lives by becoming sexually involved. ~ Perry Seibert, Rovi

"More quirky than wacky, this winning comedy only hits its romantic high when we return to that framing story, the storyteller who won't casually kiss because she knows, damn well, there's no such thing as a casual 'French' kiss."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"[A] delightful and deeply satisfying French confection."
‑ Ted Fry, Seattle Times
"Charming, but too contrived for a great turn on"
‑ Jules Brenner, Cinema Signals
"It's the kind of total submission to a filmmaker that's usually reserved for edge-of-your-seat thrillers and, in a way, that's what Mouret has made: an expertly suspenseful romance."
‑ Justin Strout, Orlando Weekly
"It's a breezy, entertaining little film that ends up being more sophisticated and thoughtful about love than it first appears. Sometimes a kiss is just a kiss, and sometimes it's a lot more."
‑ Rob Thomas, Capital Times (Madison, WI)
"Mouret is the cinematic offspring of Woody Allen and Eric Rohmer. From the former he takes the actor-director presenting himself as neurotic but satisfying lover; from the latter he absorbs the pleasure of extended talk. Mouret's talk is enjoyable, but i"
‑ Jonathan F. Richards, Film.com
"Impossibly charming and impossibly French, Shall We Kiss? is a comic romance full of rueful musings about fidelity and true love."
‑ Steven Rea, Philadelphia Inquirer
"The quiet joys of Shall We Kiss? are to be found not only in the observational writing and the pitch-perfect performances but in the way the mood shifts from tantalising foreplay to more serious matters."
‑ David Stratton, The Australian
"The film goes badly awry, I think. There is something coy and miscalculated about it all. Mouret is quite talented as an actor, but maybe it's time he found another writer."
‑ Julie Rigg, MovieTime, ABC Radio National
"[The] polite inquiry [of the title] pretty well sums up the tone of this featherweight ensemble comedy about French people falling in and out of love."
‑ Sandra Hall, Sydney Morning Herald
"This quintessentially French bonbon is both sweet and dry, with just enough complexity to confound the fast-food appetite."
‑ Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
"An engaging romantic comedy that's deeper, smarter and more pessimistic than it appears at first glance, a film with shrewd insight into the mysteries of human attraction."
‑ Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle
"The influence of Woody Allen is obvious, but Mouret -- though he overdoes the tics and hesitancies of his nervous lover -- manages to make this combination of humour, sex and pain all his own."
‑ David Stratton, At the Movies (Australia)
"This is not your average romantic comedy. Shall We Kiss? simply delights."
‑ Amy Wheeler, FILMINK (Australia)
"This is a delicate and naïve piece of French fluff, part love story, part morality tale, part bedroom farce, and all very much in the style of writer-director-actor Emmanuel Mouret, a kind of comatose Woody Allen character."
‑ Simon Weaving, Screenwize