Voy a Explotar (I'm Gonna Explode)
Voy a Explotar (I'm Gonna Explode)
Director Gerardo Naranjo transplants the myth of the last romantic couple to upper middle-class Mexico City with this vital and hectic tale of a young couple who throw caution to the wind and set out in search of their true fate. Román is the son of a contemptible, right-leaning congressman. Recently enrolled in a new high school, the rebellious teen clumsily attempts to hang himself on-stage at the big talent show. Maru is the sole member of the audience to applaud, earning both students a day of detention. After bonding during the course of their punishment, Román and Maru grab daddy's… More

"This is mostly an unusual and imaginative, if overlong, love story."
‑ Dave Calhoun, Time Out
"The title of the film promises something revolutionary, but all we get, aesthetically and thematically, are second-gen hand-me-downs."
‑ Keith Uhlich, Time Out New York
"Anger, rebellion, romance and despair are the keynotes of this freewheeling if self-conscious picture."
‑ Peter Bradshaw, Guardian
"This confused film has its moments, but they are fewer than its longueurs."
‑ Philip French, Observer [UK]
"A Mexican drama that, while nice to look at, is deeply boring."
‑ David Edwards, Daily Mirror [UK]
"The small, sometimes confusing movie is a knowing homage to Jean-Luc Godard."
‑ Stephen Holden, New York Times
"The jazzy jump cuts and dissolves and cutesy imagery of the opening give way to long talks in a pup tent about what really bothers kids today."
‑ Peter Keough, Boston Phoenix
"It's a tad too long, but beguiling nonetheless."
‑ Wendy Ide, Times [UK]
"If ultimately little more than an extended riff on Jean-Luc Godard's Pierrot Le Fou, the startling vistas, sexual awakenings and a storming soundtrack ensure it's never dull."
‑ Josh Winning, Total Film
"I'm Gonna Explode never quite explodes but it sets up a potent, sometimes funny, opposition between domestic complacency and youthful rejection, and a slow-burning love story that draws you in."
‑ John Walsh, Independent on Sunday
"I'm Gonna Explode dramatizes even as it demonstrates the maxim that you can't go home again."
‑ J. Hoberman, Village Voice
"Engrossing in parts, Naranjo does a decent job of transposing his source material."
‑ David Parkinson, Empire Magazine
"Naranjo strikes a nice balance between recognising the couple's naivety and honouring their romanticism, but when, in the film's later stages, they leave the rooftop behind, the plot meanders."
‑ Edward Porter, Sunday Times (UK)
"It wastes the breathless pacing and nihilistic promise of the gripping opening scenes by becoming mired in unfocused melodrama and cliché. Where the project excels, though, is in the intimate camerawork and naturalistic performances."
‑ Sloan Freer, Radio Times
"Naranjo tells his story like a real film-maker, refusing either sentiment or melodrama. But Godard looms large over the whole, as if Naranjo has digested so many classics that he isn't quite able to do his own thing without copious references."
‑ , This is London