War Horse
Set against a sweeping canvas of rural England and Europe during the First World War, War Horse begins with the remarkable friendship between a horse named Joey and a young man called Albert, who tames and trains him. When they are forcefully parted, the film follows the extraordinary journey of the horse as he moves through the war, changing and inspiring the lives of all those he meets-British cavalry, German soldiers, and a French farmer and his granddaughter-before the story reaches its emotional climax in the heart of No Man's Land. The First World War is experienced through the… More

"Spielberg still manages to surprise and impress."
‑ Dave Calhoun, Time Out
"Tthe images have what I can only describe as a wonderful texture. They also have intense color: deep gemlike greens and reds, with black shadows out of an old master painting."
‑ Dana Stevens, Slate
"Steven Spielberg's "War Horse" is an imperfect film, but certainly is a beautiful one."
‑ Justin Craig, FoxNews.com
"War Horse offers a number of memorable moments both tragic and profound."
‑ Ben Kendrick, ScreenRant
"Its epic length is the one thing you're guaranteed to take from the experience."
‑ Erick Weber, NECN
"The trouble here is not so much that Spielberg's film staunchly insists on finding a happy ending even in the calamity of the First World War, but that he slathers it on so thick and leaves so soft an impression."
‑ Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail
"We never ask why the production is devoted to an animal while ten million men are dying, but when Spielberg does the story realistically, it seems trivial, even a little daft."
‑ David Denby, New Yorker
"They will keep trying and trying until only the blackest of hearts are left un-moved. I guess I should hand in my organ donation card because I clearly don't have a heart judging from the dismissive reaction I had to this patently artificial film."
‑ Glenn Dunks, Trespass
"Leave it to the great Steven Spielberg to be able to inject a great deal of heart into a story about a boy and his horse."
‑ Jeff Beck, Examiner.com
"A two-and-a-half hour sightseeing tour through David O. Selznick's junk drawer."
‑ William Bibbiani, CraveOnline
"The material sometimes feels oversugared, though it's also guaranteed to raise a lump in your throat."
‑ Rafer Guzman, Newsday
"Amid the incomprehensible slaughter, it's a horse that reminds these warriors of their humanity."
‑ David Edelstein, New York Magazine/Vulture
"For sublime equine you'd be hard pressed to find a better mount than 'War Horse.'"
‑ Al Alexander, The Patriot Ledger
"It's too bad that Steven Spielberg's latest film War Horse doesn't quite live up to the example set by its majestic titular character."
‑ Kristal Cooper, We Got This Covered
"While made with great technical proficiency, War Horse is determinedly old-fashioned in how Spielberg tells the story, which is a fitting creative strategy considering that the film studies the convergence of the old and the modern."
‑ Mark Pfeiffer, Reel Times: Reflections on Cinema