We Are Marshall
A true story of tragedy, hope, and resilience comes to the screen in this sports drama. Huntington, WV, is home to Marshall University, a school where college football is a way of life. Huntington is also a town that learned to deal with tragedy in the fall of 1970 when Marshall's "Thundering Herd" boarded an airliner to return home after a football game in North Carolina. The jet crashed into a hill due to bad weather, and 75 members of Marshall's football squad and athletic staff died that night. The accident dealt a crippling blow to the city of Huntington, as well as… More

"Unlike a lot of sports movies, it doesn't end with a championship or a great upset over a powerhouse. The real victory on the Marshall campus was in fielding a team that honored and respected the legacy of the 1970 team."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"A series of montage and anecdotal vignettes follows as they recruit a whole new team, learn lessons from the catastrophe, lose and then win, with plenty of sentimentality sprinkled over the whole thing."
‑ Ted Fry, Seattle Times
"...would've benefited from the presence of virtually any other actor in the central role..."
‑ David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews
"Despite its best intentions, there is much in We Are Marshall that holds it back from being the best it can be."
‑ John J. Puccio, Movie Metropolis
"That McG makes it vital and energetic, and not morose or preachy, shows a director on top of his game."
‑ Frank Lovece, Film Journal International
"This was undeniably a horrific event for the victims' families friends, colleagues as well as for the entire community. But the movie seems to almost exploit this tragedy so it can make audiences weep, and ultimately, cheer."
‑ Claudia Puig, USA Today
"We Are Marshall is a bit of a shame, because the subject matter could have been something special in the hands of stronger filmmakers."
‑ Peter Hartlaub, San Francisco Chronicle
"We Are Marshall is not a bad movie; it is a potentially nice, familiar movie unfortunately marred by the unspeakably awful performance of Matthew McConaughey."
‑ Mike McGranaghan, Aisle Seat
"What allows We Are Marshall to stand above many of the other 2006 sports movies is both the undeniable power of the story itself and the strong ensemble McG gathered to tell it."
‑ Brian Tallerico, UGO
"'We Are Marshall' is both better than it has a right to be and still feels somewhat disappointing."
‑ Dan Lybarger, eFilmCritic.com
"What's missing is any kind of insight into the lives of the dead players or the members of the Young Thundering Herd who rise up to replace them."
‑ Peter Howell, Toronto Star
"McConaughey campily channels Jon Stewart channeling George W. Bush for his impersonation of Lengyel."
‑ Brandon Fibbs, BrandonFibbs.com
"A sentimental, simplistically inspiring movie that leans heavily on Matthew McConaughey's substantial energy and charisma for its success."
‑ Brian Webster, Apollo Guide
"We Are Marshall is the kind of movie that not only believes in the goodness of humankind, but makes you believe it, too."
‑ Todd Gilchrist, IGN Movies
"As exciting and well staged as the on-field action is (finally, a football movie gives the field goal kicker the respect he's due!), I was more taken by what was happening off the field."
‑ Rob Thomas, Capital Times (Madison, WI)