We Are Together (Thina Simunye)
We Are Together (Thina Simunye)
As the AIDS epidemic ravages Africa, the ones who succumb to the disease are not the only victims. When tens of thousands of parents die, their children are left to fend for themselves, and the Agape Orphanage in South Africa has become a home for a growing number of children who have lost their mothers and fathers. While the children of Agape have all been touched by tragedy, they've also adopted a unique means to cope -- music. As South African singing star Zwai Bala puts it, "We, South Africans, sing before we eat. We sing when we're happy, sing when we're sad. It's a… More

"You've seen this sort of thing before, but the film, directed by Paul Taylor, happens to be especially well photographed, and the youngsters more winning than most."
‑ Nathan Lee, New York Times
"Compared to the reality-TV programs that wring manufactured drama from manipulated situations, We Are Together is an example of admirable restraint."
‑ Jeffrey Overstreet, Christianity Today
"The specter of the AIDS crisis is raised on several occasions, but never as anything more than a way to elicit easy sympathy."
‑ Matt Noller, Slant Magazine
"There are moments of joy, so sublime you feel your heart swell with the sound of the children's voices and segments of sadness as sharp as a scalpel."
‑ Amber Wilkinson, Eye for Film
"This film about orphans in South Africa would be satisfying even if the only good thing about it were its refreshing lack of Bono."
‑ Drew Toal, Time Out New York
"Heartrending musical documentary examines plight of South African AIDS orphans."
‑ Kam Williams, AALBC.com
"Intimate and emotional, with rather a lot of time focusing on the gorgeous young children as they laugh, play and, yes, cry"
‑ Rich Cline, Shadows on the Wall
"We Are Together stands as a celebration of resiliency."
‑ Ronnie Scheib, Variety
"As others have reported, this is a very inspiring film. However, it does raise troubling questions about the source of Africa's misery and how it will be ended."
‑ Louis Proyect, rec.arts.movies.reviews
"While it strays occasionally into Oxfam-advert territory, this remains a touching documentary."
‑ Anna Hart, Empire Magazine