We Are What We Are
The Parkers have always kept to themselves, and for good reason. Behind closed doors, patriarch Frank rules his family with a rigorous fervor, determined to keep his ancestral customs intact at any cost. As a torrential rainstorm moves into the area, tragedy strikes and his daughters Iris and Rose are forced to assume responsibilities that extend beyond those of a typical family. As the unrelenting downpour continues to flood their small town, the local authorities begin to uncover clues that bring them closer to the secret that the Parkers have held closely for so many years. -- (C)… More

"A family implodes with a biting commentary on patriarchy."
‑ Bill Stamets, Chicago Sun-Times
"There's some fun to be had, as long as your idea of fun includes being grossed out."
‑ Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post
"Remakes may get a lot of stick in Hollywood, as filmmakers can be accused of being somewhat lazy and uncreative in that regard."
‑ Stefan Pape, HeyUGuys
"Mickle and co-writer Nick Damici give themselves plenty of time to tease out their themes and ladle on the tension."
‑ Lisa Mullen, Sight and Sound
"Another pointless remake."
‑ Peter Bradshaw, Guardian [UK]
""We Are What We Are" is such a patient, trusting film it may take you a while to figure out it's a horror film."
‑ Bill Goodykoontz, Arizona Republic
"The movie stays elegantly restrained just long enough for the true horror of what they're doing to sink in."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"An ambitious (if somewhat uneven) slice of downbeat American gothic which interweaves grim melancholia with pointed satire, doomy portent and moments of gnawing revulsion."
‑ Mark Kermode, Observer [UK]
"Jim Mickle's savvy re-imagining of the 2010 Mexican art-house horror marks a quantum leap forward in maturity and style for the Stake Land director."
‑ Alan Jones, Radio Times
"A rare example of a remake that is as good as, if not better, than the original."
‑ Henry Northmore, The List
"We Are What We Are doesn't waste time with cheap scares. Mickle keeps his story on a steady, slow simmer, transporting us minute by minute into the very heart of dread."
‑ Tirdad Derakhshani, Philadelphia Inquirer
"A campy and sometimes elegant American Gothic horror story."
‑ Peter Keough, Boston Globe
"Some of the film is gruesome in the extreme but there is always lyricism and pathos alongside the bloodletting."
‑ Geoffrey Macnab, Independent
"Who can resist a good cannibal movie?"
‑ Charlotte O'Sullivan, This is London
"Stupendously dull: dull with that blend of overloaded effect and under-supplied affect that bad horror alone truly offers."
‑ Nigel Andrews, Financial Times