We Don't Live Here Anymore
We Don't Live Here Anymore
Two marriages and four lives are brought to a crossroads by infidelity in this drama, based on a pair of short stories by author Andre Dubus. Jack (Mark Ruffalo) is a college professor whose marriage to Terry (Laura Dern) has been going through a rough patch. Beyond the tensions over Terry's failings as a mother and housekeeper, Jack is deeply infatuated with Edith (Naomi Watts), the beautiful wife of his best friend, Hank (Peter Krause), a fellow professor and struggling poet. As it happens, Edith is also attracted to Jack, and they soon begin an affair that Edith is certain will soon be… More

"We Don't Live Here Anymore is, you might say, a movie for adults who are, perhaps, a smidge too impressed with being adults."
‑ Jay Boyar, Orlando Sentinel
"Watts manages to make her Edith seem genuinely remorseful about her actions but unable to stop, and Ruffalo puts a believable hint of guilt in Jack's face that he carries through the film."
‑ Bill Muller, Arizona Republic
"Movie about adultery for adults only."
‑ Nell Minow, Common Sense Media
"(...) Infrecuente en su incisiva exploración de conflictos humanos."
‑ Enrique Buchichio, Uruguay Total
"Like the movie's title, there doesn't appear to be anybody home in this picture."
‑ John J. Puccio, Movie Metropolis
"I was fully absorbed in the characters and their casually outrageous behavior."
‑ Andrew Sarris, New York Observer
"Earnest, overbearing and fully depressing, We Don't Live Here Anymore features a quartet of fine performances that are somewhat undermined by the numbing, one-note tone of the entire enterprise."
‑ Tom Long, Detroit News
"Summons the exposed anatomy of adultery out of its awkward secrecy, casting an intriguing light that gently and intelligently intimates why infidelity can self-destruct one marriage, and repair another."
‑ Prairie Miller, Long Island Press
"... feels like one of the saddest songs you're ever heard."
‑ Philip Martin, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
"[Y]our expectations of climax, resolution, consolation fall away and you're quite simply present in every detail of every moment."
‑ Alan Dale, Blogcritics.org
"We Don't Live Here Anymore deftly captures the pain and suffocation of people who have fallen out of love and don't know who to blame. It just forgets to allow them -- or the audience -- to feel anything else."
‑ Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald
"Painful, powerful adaptation of two of Andre Dubus' beautifully frank stories."
‑ Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post
"For anyone who finds films about affairs boring, We Don't Live Here Anymorecould feel like being stuck in a bad marriage - for all the wrong reasons."
‑ Harry Guerin, RTE Interactive (Dublin, Ireland)
"A modest film that is surprisingly effective in its directness and fascinating for its complex portrayals of marital distress in action."
‑ Derek Smith, Apollo Guide
"So packed with serious themes that it's almost unbearable."
‑ Rich Cline, Shadows on the Wall