We Go Way Back
A hard-working young actress with a small theater company, Kate lands her first leading role on her 23rd birthday. When she reads a cheerfully inquisitive birthday letter from her 13-year-old self, it seems she might actually be fulfilling childhood aspirations. But the letter triggers mounting confusion for Kate, and her former self - in the form of a voice and the occasional fleeting vision - won't seem to go away. As Kate bends to the whims of those around her with dwindling resistance, the protests of her adolescent self grow more hauntingly intrusive until, in a surrealistic turn,… More

"More successful at conjuring atmosphere than at plot, "We Go Way Back" is nicely acted but frustratingly slight."
‑ Jeannette Catsoulis, New York Times
"[A] diverting but ultimately weightless effort."
‑ Dennis Harvey, Variety
"First time director Lynn Shelton breaks too many narrative laws for it to work as a feature."
‑ Bill White, Seattle Post-Intelligencer
"For all of the film's preciousness, the pungent notion of having your young-teen self gazing in horrified disappointment at the adult you've failed to become is as fresh a thematic undertow as it is disquieting."
‑ Michael Atkinson, Village Voice
"We Go Way Back is another tale of a twentysomething struggling to get a grip on their life."
‑ Chuck Bowen, Slant Magazine
"Depression is the subject of the locally produced We Go Way Back, yet the movie works best as a backstage comedy in the tradition of Waiting for Guffman."
‑ John Hartl, Seattle Times
"For the first half, you can kid yourself that these witty sidetrips are what the film is about. But then Shelton gets "serious," and it dissolves into arty murk."
‑ Marshall Fine, Hollywood & Fine