We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen
We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen
This documentary chronicles the ground breaking, early 80s punk rock band, The Minutemen, from their humble beginnings in the harbor town of San Pedro, Calif., to their tragic and untimely demise when lead singer and guitarist D. Boon was killed in a van accident in December of 1985.

"For people who are Minutemen fans and movie buffs, We Jam Econo is kind of a mixed blessing."
‑ Noel Murray, AV Club
"It's refreshing to see a doc in which the biggest boldfaced name is Flea, who gushes over Watt and Boon's reluctance to tune their instruments."
‑ Mikael Wood, Village Voice
"One of the toughest forms of nostalgia is a yearning for times that were anything but peaceful."
‑ Chris Chang, Film Comment Magazine
"We Jam Econo is a must for the trio's fans, although non-aficionados of the group's cacophonous music may be puzzled by all the on-screen accolades showered on the band."
‑ Tom Dawson, BBC.com
"Tim Irwin's entertaining documentary is packed with great, no-fi footage from the band's glory days."
‑ Ken Fox, TV Guide's Movie Guide
"This is an insider's tour -- the uninitiated are, frankly, not likely to be converted."
‑ Elizabeth Weitzman, New York Daily News
"The filmmakers have assembled a remarkable cast of voices, including Henry Rollins, Flea, Ian MacKaye, Thurston Moore, Richard Hell, J Mascis, critic Richard Meltzer, and Watt's mom."
‑ James Parker, Boston Globe
"One of last year's finest documentaries, and one of the greatest rock movies I've ever seen."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"Largely conventional documentary lovingly portrays the brief life of '80s California band The Minutemen."
‑ Matthew Smith, Film Journal International
"Even now, there's no group out there like The Minutemen."
‑ Jason Ferguson, Orlando Weekly
"The spiky documentary in their honor keeps alive the echoes of their slapdash, Smithsonian-worthy sound."
‑ Ned Martel, New York Times
"The Minutemen were influential then and now, and We Jam Econo is a valentine to the band and D. Boon's memory. They're immortal now, and that's as it should be."
‑ Jeff Shannon, Seattle Times
"a spirited tribute"
‑ Mark Athitakis, Filmcritic.com
"This footage nicely captures the punky energy of the band's early performances, but the homemade approach doesn't work so well in contemporary footage with band member Mike Watt."
‑ Chris Hewitt (St. Paul), St. Paul Pioneer Press
"Those who know the band only through its recorded work will be amazed to see it in action."
‑ Bill White, Seattle Post-Intelligencer