We Were Soldiers

"Probably the best thing you can say about We Were Soldiers is that it does justice to an awful conflict."
‑ Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune
"As I settled into my World War II memories, I found myself strangely moved by even the corniest and most hackneyed contrivances."
‑ Andrew Sarris, New York Observer
"The war genre, vigorously energized with Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down, takes several steps backward with this old-fashioned moralistic saga, a tribute not only to the soldiers in combat in Vietnam but also to the homefront."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"Gibson wears a rictus of distaste which seems more suggestive of dodgy on-set catering than the horrors of combat."
‑ Tim Robey, Daily Telegraph
"Almost always competent, but never brilliant. Its textbook approach to moviemaking is so common in Hollywood war films that it can't be called new or enlightening."
‑ Andrew Manning, Radio Free Entertainment
"The Vietnam setting looks authentic enough, but the action is as inert and unpersuasive as Gibson's attempt to fashion Bill Mauldin poetry out of his $20-million-plus smirk."
‑ Manohla Dargis, L.A. Weekly
"After suffering through We Were Soldiers, I think I've seen all the war movies I care to endure for quite some time."
‑ Rex Reed, New York Observer
"I was impressed by Wallace's emphasis of Moore's faith, but the violence struck me as excessive, taking valuable time that could have been used to develop characters."
‑ Jeffrey Overstreet, Looking Closer
"Mais uma patriotada que mostra os americanos matando milhares de vietcongues, mas sendo mais 'humanos' que os inimigos."
‑ Pablo Villaca, Cinema em Cena
"I didn't mind the film's sentimental view of GIs. It's stuff like this that gets me crying, especially in times of combat like now. I wasn't the only one wiping tears away. It's hard not to when you're proud to be an American."
‑ Josh Gilchrist, Billings Outpost (Montana)
"Makes you cry for the hundreds of thousands of men and women who died so pointlessly with Geoghegan. And their orphans."
‑ David Edelstein, Slate
"One of the most violent movies ever released."
‑ Nell Minow, Common Sense Media
"... A fitting tribute to all the men and women who have fought and died for their country -- and for each other."
‑ Greg Maki, Star-Democrat (Easton, MD)
"...A gripping, fast-moving film that will be added to the short list of quality movies focused on the U.S. conflict in Vietnam."
‑ John R. McEwen, Film Quips Online
"This is a good film; strong, honest, strikingly photographed (by Dean Semler) and appropriately devastating."
‑ David Grove, Film Threat