What We Did on Our Holiday
What We Did on Our Holiday
Doug and Abi are taking their three children on a trip to Scotland for a big family gathering. They are in the midst of a difficult divorce, and have asked the kids to keep it a secret from their extended family. But as the inevitable feuds kick in, a completely unexpected turn of events involving the children causes further tensions to rise to the surface. And with the repercussions that ensue - hilarious and emotional in equal measure - the family are forced to put aside their differences and work together or else risk losing what they hold most dear.

"Amiable observational humour and likeable performances."
‑ Trevor Johnston, Time Out
"Although its story easily could have spun right off the rails, this British comedy uses earthy honesty to win the audience over."
‑ Rich Cline, Contactmusic.com
"You deserve some sort of honour if, as a creator of comedy, you devise a technique so solid that it can translate from TV to film without losing any of its personality"
‑ Donald Clarke, Irish Times
"This holiday is about as much fun as a wet weekend in Chernobyl."
‑ David Edwards, Daily Mirror [UK]
"Is there any more tired device for illustrating growing attraction than a montage sequence where the characters make funny faces for photographs?"
‑ Leslie Felperin, Guardian
"Connolly's on top form too, and the chemistry between Tennant and Pike convinces."
‑ Philip Kemp, Total Film
"A shambolic farcical twist is engineered that makes no practical, emotional or even comic sense."
‑ Guy Lodge, This is London
"The film is funny, if predictable, about such subjects as motorway traffic jams, sibling rivalry and family feuding."
‑ Geoffrey Macnab, Independent
"The tonal shifts can be a touch jarring, but there is a thin line between comedy and tragedy that is all the more poignant seen through innocent eyes."
‑ Stella Papamichael, Radio Times
"It's as wry and naturalistic as you'd expect, while warm, emotional work from the adult leads gives the film a crucial lack of bias towards Doug and Abi's relationship."
‑ Lewis Bazley, Sky Movies
"There are plenty of close-to-the-bone belly laughs as the estranged McLeods hit the road for Scotland, after which an unexpectedly morbid twist takes us into altogether darker territory ..."
‑ Mark Kermode, Observer [UK]
"Engaging family comedy What We Did on Our Holiday sees the creators of Outnumbered repeating the BBC sitcom's winning mix of beleaguered parents, cute scene-stealing kids and spot-on observational humour with audience-pleasing results."
‑ Jason Best, Movie Talk
"There's a lovely loose feel to What We Did on Our Holiday, partly down to the fact that while the adult characters have tightly scripted dialogue the child actors were allowed a good deal of leeway."
‑ George Byrne, Irish Independent
"Veryimpressive and likable stuff."
‑ Peter Bradshaw, Guardian
"This garbled and nonsensical Brit farce has apparently been inspired by Kids Say The Funniest Things."
‑ David Jenkins, Little White Lies