When in Rome
Disillusioned with romance during her whirlwind trip to Rome, an ambitious New Yorker defiantly swipes a few magic coins from a "foolish" wishing fountain, inadvertently igniting the passions of a motley crew of suitors as she's pursued by a handsome reporter with charm to spare. Beth (Kristen Bell) is at a point in her life where love seems like a luxury she just can't afford. Years of waiting for that perfect romance has made Beth bitter, and one day, while vacationing in Rome, she cynically plucks a handful of coins from a local fountain of love. Almost immediately… More

"Keep your coin far away from this toxic fountain of crap."
‑ Joshua Rothkopf, Time Out New York
"A bunch of eager performers troll for laughs that never come."
‑ Stephen Farber, Hollywood Reporter
"My kind of romantic comedy. It's funny, a bit silly and doesn't try to set the new standard for romance in the genre. It's exactly what you expect, but in a good way."
‑ Jeffrey Lyles, Lyles' Movie Files
"When in Rome is an insipid waste; every ounce of potential has been steadfastly turned away from in order to make a safe little piece of clowning."
‑ Joshua Starnes, ComingSoon.net
"You know from the start of Mark Steven Johnson's silly, sunny romcom how it's going to end."
‑ Marc Lee, Daily Telegraph
"It lurches along, making Ms. Bell and Mr. Duhamel look duller than they need to."
‑ A.O. Scott, New York Times
"In the case of When in Rome, oh to do what the Romans used to do: Toss the bloody thing to the lions."
‑ Rick Groen, Globe and Mail
"Most of the troubles come from the painfully unfunny shenanigans of Beth's magic-stricken admirers."
‑ Greg Maki, Star-Democrat (Easton, MD)
"[Bell] carries a classic presence and charm that is tough not to like. Yet, at the same time, she does so with a little spunk and sass."
‑ Ryan Cracknell, Movie Views
"Number of record-scratch jokes? Three. Number of walk-into-a-lamppost gags? Two. Number of laughs? Take a wild guess."
‑ Robbie Collin, News of the World
"How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways."
‑ Richard Roeper, Richard Roeper.com
"We get three acts of labored slapstick wrung from an eye-roller of a premise."
‑ Adam Markovitz, Entertainment Weekly
"When in Rome never delves deep into anything, but whisks us through the conventions of romantic comedies so quickly there's barely time to groan."
‑ Sarah Sluis, Film Journal International
"...we are expected to suspend our disbelief and accept that the adorable Kristen Bell needs some sort of crackpot magic spell to attract suitors."
‑ Philip Martin, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
"Despite its over-the-top zaniness, this romantic comedy manages to keep us entertained with its starry cast and a nutty plot. If only the filmmakers had resisted the urge to exaggerate both the humour and the sentimentality."
‑ Rich Cline, Shadows on the Wall