When We Leave
In awarding the film Best Narrative Feature Award, and Best Actress Award for Sibel Kekilli, the Tribeca Film Festival Narrative Jury said of the film: "WHEN WE LEAVE examines one woman's struggle for personal freedom. It is a riveting and heartbreaking story of a woman trapped in an abusive relationship, who must not only free herself from that marriage, but also the cultural prejudices and judgments that would keep her there. Feo Aladag built the nuances of her film over a six year period. She rehearsed her actors for seven months. She immersed herself in every detail of a culture… More

""When We Leave" has a predetermined arc that almost chokes its life, but for frustrated witnesses to this passion play, Kekilli offers redemption."
‑ Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
"Unfortunately, Aladag was not as nuanced in her approach as her star."
‑ Linda Barnard, Toronto Star
"...an old-fashioned melodrama with all the heightened emotions and focus on the struggles of an almost saintly heroine that you would expect from a work in that genre."
‑ Sarah Boslaugh, Playback:stl
"...a routine, interminably paced drama..."
‑ David Nusair, About.com
"It's so melodramatic, with such crudely drawn, oversimplified characters and hackneyed situations, that it drains its own pond."
‑ Kelly Vance, East Bay Express
"A powerhouse melodrama that feels didactic and manipulative even as it rips your heart out."
‑ Ty Burr, Boston Globe
"There are some intense, moving sequences, but too much emotional badgering and a general shortage of finesse."
‑ Walter V. Addiego, San Francisco Chronicle
"What elevates When We Leave is the three-dimensional acting and the larger context."
‑ Jeffrey Gantz, Boston Phoenix
"The personal and the political are represented here. When We Leave is distinguished by strong performances, especially from Kekilli."
‑ Liz Braun, Jam! Movies
"Script problems aside, the fact that newcomer Feo Aladag has created such a strong-hearted drama, getting our attention and making us care, opening our eyes to such a senseless crime, is no small feat."
‑ Kimberly Gadette, Indie Movies Online
"The whole sad enterprise is watchable because of Kekilli."
‑ James Adams, Globe and Mail
"Aside from its conclusion, "When We Leave'' is credible and well-observed."
‑ Mark Jenkins, Washington Post
"It's grueling, but Kekilli is fantastic."
‑ Chris Hewitt (St. Paul), St. Paul Pioneer Press
"Anyone can make a movie about a woman suffering under the restrictions of a fundamentalist mentality; the trick is making one that doesn't fall back on stereotypes and simplistic finger-wagging."
‑ Norman Wilner, NOW Toronto
"Until the final scene, Feo Aladag's When We Leave is an effective melodrama."
‑ Marcy Dermansky, About.com