Whisper of the Heart (Mimi wo sumaseba) (If You Listen Closely)
Whisper of the Heart (Mimi wo sumaseba) (If You Listen Closely)
Written by animation master Hayao Miyazaki and directed by his protégé Yoshifumi Kondo, this film is a simple tale about a young girl who falls in love and learns to believe in herself. Suzuku Tsukishima is nearing the end of her final year of junior high. An avid bookworm, she devours books while quietly dreaming about becoming a writer. Though vivacious and outgoing with her best friend, she withdraws into herself when in the presence of her bossy older sister; her studious father, who is busy researching local history; and her mother, who is absorbed in the college courses she's taking.… More

"Like its characters, the film's horizons expand further as it progresses, creating an all-encompassing portrait of childhood dreams & the sacrifices we make to commit to them."
‑ Christopher Runyon, Movie Mezzanine
"Will translate more towards girls than boys in the long run..."
"Sweet and well-observed, Whisper is about self-discovery and little else"
‑ Marty Mapes, Movie Habit
"Instead of attempting to show us a fantasy world with their animation, the filmmakers use their medium to accentuate the small details in this one."
‑ Jeremy Heilman, MovieMartyr.com
"This urban film cuts deep into an aspiring artist's innermost doubts. It's also about what Kondō knew well: apprenticeship, patient dedication to craft and nurturing friendship with other artists."
‑ Brian Gibson, Vue Weekly (Edmonton, Canada)
"Enchanting."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"I just didn't connect with the characters as I could have"
‑ Kevin Carr, 7M Pictures
"Perhaps the most unadulterated coming-of-age story in Ghibli's canon... a film of truly excellent observation."
‑ Tim Brayton, Antagony & Ecstasy
"Shame how John Denver appears at regular intervals to remind us of how peculiar a beast cultural diffusion can be."
‑ Walter Chaw, Film Freak Central
"Will easily capture the hearts of those who are both romantics and animation buffs"
‑ Shane Burridge, rec.arts.movies.reviews