Who Needs Sleep?
In 1997, Brent Hershman had spent 19 hours hard at work as a camera assistant on the set of the film Pleasantville one day before he was allowed to go home. The exhausted Hershman fell asleep at the wheel of his car shortly afterward, and died in an auto accident. The event sent shock waves through the entertainment industry, and led a number of union representatives in the film and television community to demand "twelve on, twelve off" regulations, in which crew members would not be allowed to work more than 12 hours at a stretch, with a 12-hour break following. However, many… More

"The result is (no pun intended) a powerful wake-up call, not just for Hollywood but for a nation that once fought passionately for the eight-hour workday and now, ever more willingly, works itself to death."
‑ Scott Foundas, L.A. Weekly
"Wexler makes it clear that the most victimized are in situations not unlike most Americans..."
‑ Andy Klein, Los Angeles CityBeat
"A comprehensive, personal and surprisingly engaging look at how film crews routinely work hours far beyond anything that can be considered safe, healthy or conducive to a balanced life."
‑ Todd McCarthy, Variety
"We all claim to 'eat, sleep and breathe' our passion and, of course, we want to impress the higher-ups who sign our paychecks, but how much is enough?"
‑ Collin Souter, eFilmCritic.com
"An informative though not particularly exciting documentary."
‑ Sura Wood, Hollywood Reporter
"Who Needs Sleep is a great sleeping aid, but a horribly dull and uninspiring documentary."
‑ Eric Campos, Film Threat