Why Did I Get Married?
Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married?
A couple (Tyler Perry and Janet Jackson) that goes on a therapeutic annual winter vacation designed to help couples work through their marital problems in a group setting finds the usual routine thrown into chaos when one of the wives arrives with a sexy young temptress in tow. Now, as the Colorado snow falls gently outside of their window, one couple will experience a bout with infidelity that will cause the entire group to question the validity of their own respective marriages. Diary of a Mad Black Woman mastermind Tyler Perry writes, produces, directs, and stars in this comedy drama that… More

"Faulting Tyler Perry for his nonsensical, melodramatic plots is a little like accusing Douglas Sirk of using too much color."
‑ Melissa Anderson, Time Out New York
"Despite the improbable ease of pic's genteel psychoanalysis, the characters are thesped with enough depth and emotional investment to make their problems feel legit."
‑ Ronnie Scheib, Variety
"Made up largely of Statements and less of character arcs or human psychology."
‑ Tim Brayton, Antagony & Ecstasy
"A simple, feeble-minded film with a high-school-level screenplay."
‑ Eric D. Snider, EricDSnider.com
"Why Did I Get Married covers a lot of emotional and cultural ground in its two hours."
‑ Liz Braun, Jam! Movies
"Amid the shout-downs over adultery, male power, and the agony of coping with a child's death, one performance glistens -- Jill Scott's as the sad, heavyset Sheila, who locates the faith that's the source of love."
‑ Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly
"[Perry] makes it easy on us, mostly by letting his cast do what it wants."
‑ Wesley Morris, Boston Globe
"Isn't there anything better for the urban-marketed movies than this dreck?"
‑ Heather Huntington, ReelzChannel.com
"Tyler Perry's latest comedy has adult themes."
‑ S. Jhoanna Robledo, Common Sense Media
"...the characters are less cardboard, the dialogue less awkward than in some of Perry's other movies..."
‑ Jim Lane, Sacramento News & Review
"None of these flaws will matter much to Perry's devoted audiences, whose support has enabled him to virtually build a media empire."
‑ Frank Scheck, Hollywood Reporter
"Perry, so adept at giving fans of his touring plays an evening that spans the entertainment gamut, once again delivers something for everyone."
‑ Patrick Huguenin, New York Daily News
"Unfortunately, for all its superficial entertainment value, Perry-ites won't recognize much of Why Did I Get Married? And in this case, a lack of familiarity just may breed contempt."
‑ Bill Gibron, Filmcritic.com
"There's such an overriding sense of soap opera that I kept expecting a commercial break."
‑ Toddy Burton, Austin Chronicle
"Perry's film made me laugh frequently and whole-heartedly; more so than any theatrically released American film has in many months."
‑ Stina Chyn, Film Threat