Wild Tigers I Have Known
Wild Tigers I Have Known
A soft-spoken, thirteen-year old dreamer enters into a tentative friendship with a decidedly older and more popular boy in director Cam Archer's compassionate coming of age drama. Logan is an adolescent boy who just doesn't seem to fit in. Though the majority of the kids in his school view Logan as an outcast, cool older kid Rodeo Walker is one of the few students in the school who don't seem to go out of their way to make Logan's life miserable. As Logan begins to get in touch with his sexuality and a strange bond forms between he and Rodeo, the newly empowered Logan soon… More

"This is lyricism at its most extreme, at once gripping and off-putting because Archer views his characters as if he were gawking at them through the bars of a cage."
‑ Ed Gonzalez, Los Angeles Times
"The filmmaker, Cam Archer, seems to be trying for a mood of hazy self-pity, which he achieves just enough to make you wish he'd get over it."
‑ Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly
"The movie wears its ancestors on its sleeve -- Tarnation and My Own Private Idaho, sure, but also Kenneth Anger, Warhol, Harmony Korine."
‑ Karina Longworth, Cinematical
"Archer hypothesizes that the junior high boner is the first step toward a lifetime of heartache and peer humiliation, and his argument is a vivid one."
‑ Brian Orndorf, eFilmCritic.com
"First-time feature filmmaker Cam Archer turns what might have been an exercise in salaciousness into a stylish visual poem about desire and adolescent alienation."
‑ Ken Fox, TV Guide's Movie Guide
"[Director] Archer isn't necessarily taking us anywhere new, but his movie's rapture is beautiful inside and out."
‑ Wesley Morris, Boston Globe
"While there's something admirable in [director] Archer's attempt at making an ambient song of the self out of the protagonist's search for sexual identity (along with some heavily metaphorical mountain-lion attacks), the result is empty."
‑ Joshua Rothkopf, Time Out New York
"Beautifully, I mean really beautifully, shot"
‑ Don Willmott, Filmcritic.com
"There's just not enough psychological mustard to cover this earnest hotdog-of-a-movie about a male loner's breakout infatuation with the studmuffin of his wildest dreams."
‑ Frank Ochieng, Movie Eye
"If a film makes you root for the villain, and it's a "sesitive teen drama" then it fails."
‑ Eric Lurio, Greenwich Village Gazette
"Wild Tigers I Have Known studiously avoids the clichés of the genre. It's also exasperatingly inconclusive. Its dreamy, enigmatic characters often fail to engage."
‑ John Hartl, Seattle Times
"Young writer-director Cam Archer uses disjointed imagery, textures and clashing sound to create something seamlessly odd and poignantly pubescent."
‑ John Anderson, Newsday
"If you allow yourself to be immersed in its often beautiful images and its reflective, ethereal atmosphere, it can be a memorable experience."
‑ Eric D. Snider, EricDSnider.com
"There is talent on display here, but it is ill-used, and that makes Wild Tigers I Have Known a frustrating experience."
‑ Pam Grady, Reel.com
"A compelling portrait of a 13-year-old homosexual struggling with his identity, alienation from his peers, loneliness, and sexual fantasies."
‑ Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, Spirituality and Practice