Wish I Was Here

"Wish I Was Here's philosophical scope never gets much bigger than the slip of paper inside a fortune cookie."
‑ Ian Buckwalter, NPR
"Braff plays Aidan with easygoing exasperation and Hudson is better than I've seen her since Almost Famous."
‑ Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor
"This is deep, wonderful stuff and is the year's best feel-good movie."
‑ Gary Wolcott, Tri-City Herald
"The screenplay Braff co-wrote with his brother is said to be semi-autobiographical but rarely feels real. Emotions are stitched onto contrived situations - piled onto them, actually - to manipulate a response."
‑ Duane Dudek, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
"Whenever the comedy loses steam and the emoting gets too much, the movie queues up another indie-emo-fueled montage to fill the emotional gaps. What would Zach Braff be without the Shins?"
‑ Jeff Meyers, Metro Times (Detroit, MI)
"It is sometimes maudlin, sometimes trivial and sometimes very moving, but never less than achingly sincere."
‑ Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com
"Wish I Was Here is a funny, touching movie that features one of Kate Hudson's best performances and a curmudgeonly good one from Mandy Patinkin."
‑ G. Allen Johnson, San Francisco Chronicle
"There are enough moments to remind me why I fell in love with Braff's first film, moments of sweetness, moments of silliness."
‑ Brad Keefe, Columbus Alive
"Patinkin and King's characters' wrangling with spirituality is sincere, and specific. Everything else in this everything-and-the-kitchen-sink film feels like too many ideas stored up over an especially long winter."
‑ Kimberley Jones, Austin Chronicle
"Wish I Was Here is a confident, funny and heartfelt tragicomedy that, although not without its blemishes, proves Braff is more than just a one-hit wonder."
‑ Jason Zingale, Bullz-Eye.com
"The fruits of writer-director Zach Braff's Kickstarter are here for the general public, and they're at once vibrantly weird, beautiful and thoughtful."
‑ Sean Fitz-Gerald, Denver Post
""Wish I Was Here" is a welcome, if belated, second chapter in a filmmaker's career. I just hope we don't have to wait another 10 years to see what he thinks about life as a forty-something ..."
‑ Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger
"... a muddled comedy that feels more like a vanity project than a profound examination of upper-middle class family dynamics."
‑ Todd Jorgenson, Cinemalogue.com
"Zach Braff's latest is well-intentioned, but also drab and predictable."
‑ Clint O'Connor, Cleveland Plain Dealer
"A few inspired moments make up for a lot of missteps along the way."
‑ Nell Minow, Beliefnet