With God on Our Side: George W. Bush and the Rise of the Religious Right in America
For many years, religious faith had little to do with American politics, but in the late '60s, as the youth-oriented counterculture became increasingly visible, a small number of right-wing Christians on the other end of the political spectrum began sketching out plans to claim a larger share of the electoral playing field. In 1976, Jimmy Carter was the first self-described born-again Christian to win the presidency, and while many fundamentalist Christians quickly became dissatisfied with his leftist views, his victory set a valuable precedent. Additionally, as noted Christian… More

"Should be mandatory viewing for those interested in the dominant intersection between religion and politics."
‑ Frank Scheck, Hollywood Reporter
"Convincingly maintains that the evangelical movement reached its political apotheosis in the person of born-again prodigal son George W. Bush."
‑ J. Hoberman, Village Voice
"As an explanation of where we are today, the entire film makes for crucial viewing."
‑ Ken Fox, TV Guide's Movie Guide
"New Yorkers still won dering how President Bush got re-elected may learn something from this comprehensive British TV documentary."
‑ Lou Lumenick, New York Post
"Faz um bom trabalho ao analisar os últimos 50 anos da política norte-americana e a crescente aproximação entre Republicanos e evangélicos (e sua insistência em escutar até imbecis como Falwell é louvável). Pena que perca o foco em seu terço final."
‑ Pablo Villaca, Cinema em Cena
"Packed with historical, sociological, and cultural context."
‑ David Sterritt, Christian Science Monitor
"Our turbulent political climate is so clogged with the instant hysteria demanded by the chattering class to keep its voice in shouting condition that a sedate documentary examining the long-term weather patterns is a welcome respite from the noise."
‑ Stephen Holden, New York Times
"With footage of Muslims burning effigies, Andrew Denton begins by setting out the film's agenda: if we are witnessing a clash of civilisations, and we often see public portrayals of fundamentalist Muslim activity, how do they see our Christian evangelists"
‑ Urban Cinefile Critics, Urban Cinefile