World Traveler
Following up on his acclaimed debut The Myth of Fingerprints, Bart Freundlich spins this drama that poses the question "what would it be like to run away from your life?" The film centers on a restless thirtysomething New Yorker named Cal (Billy Crudup) who one day drives off into the open road, leaving his wife and infant son behind. A series of flashbacks describe Cal's domestic malaise and disillusionment with his life. On the road, Cal encounters a number of unusual characters who are similarly tethered and drifting. One is named Dulcie (Julianne Moore), an emotionally… More

Subscription
Stream Now

"The story ... is moldy and obvious."
‑ Ernest Hardy, L.A. Weekly
"This episodic, quietly affecting movie is both gritty and poetic."
‑ Jay Boyar, Orlando Sentinel
"The subtlety of how the story is told is beautifully done"
‑ Vanessa Sibbald, Zap2it.com
"Whatever complaints I might have, I'd take [its] earnest errors and hard-won rewards over the bombastic self-glorification of other feel-good fiascos like Antwone Fisher or The Emperor's Club any time."
‑ Jeremy Heilman, MovieMartyr.com
"A wonderful, quietly offbeat little drama... [with] a deep inward reflectiveness and... unyielding, non-judgmental nakedness."
‑ Brent Simon, Entertainment Today
"With no real redemption at the end of the road, it is nothing more than a beautiful, empty journey."
‑ Jennie Punter, Globe and Mail
"Well-made, well-acted but ultimately enervating."
‑ Dan Via, Washington Post
"I, for one, hope Freundlich gets another shot at a feature. And if he gets it, I hope he proves he knows what to do with it."
‑ Nick Davis, Nick's Flick Picks
"With Freundlich and Crudup in the front seat, I found that once I could see the road, I was able to sit back and just enjoy the ride."
‑ Ron Wells, Film Threat
"It's not going to be everyone's bag of popcorn, but it definitely gives you something to chew on."
‑ Kim Linekin, eye WEEKLY
"Were it not for a sentimental resolution that explains way more about Cal than does the movie or the character any good, Freundlich's World Traveler might have been one of the more daring and surprising American movies of the year."
‑ Geoff Pevere, Toronto Star
"Anemic, pretentious."
‑ Ann Hornaday, Washington Post
"The only reason for watching such a shallow and worn drama is because of Crudup's subtle performance."
"Well-shot drama features great work from Billy Crudup and Julianne Moore -- and an infuriating script from director Bart Freundlich."
‑ James Rocchi, Netflix
"A journey that is as difficult for the audience to take as it is for the protagonist -- yet it's potentially just as rewarding."
‑ Bruce Kirkland, Jam! Movies