Ad Astra

Enjoyed this movie all the way through. There was just enough action to make it interesting. It was a thoughtful, deep, and calming movie.
    Disappointingly slow and anti-climatic
    A film that is very beautiful to look at with a lovely slow and deliberate pace. Some really nice and well thought through world building. A very enjoyable 2 hours.
    Audience members who didn't like this movie have no concept of good acting. The space battle was excellent. I will say the movie was marketed as something different than what it turned out to be, which probably turned alot of people off.
    Pointless emotional drama using a deeply-flawed science fiction backdrop as a plot. A terrible waste of some highly talented actors.
    It's not a drama, there is no character development. It's not an action film, nothing happens. It's not SciFi, it doesn't ask of answer any "what if" questions. But it is effective at helping people fall asleep that need something stronger than pills.
    Ad Astra is a very sober space epic that unfortunately never finds its center or momentum. Brad Pitt's narration never feels natural - it straddles an awkward place between poetic and judgmental, and the ending's message, if well-meaning, comes off as highly generic and unmotivated. There are admittedly some terrific moments in the the film, but they never reach the high they should in this rather wearisome plot. In Ad Astra, director James Gray presents us a vision of the near future that, with its commercial space flights and clunky moon rovers, feels imminent and real. Indeed, what this film does so well is that it makes space feel ordinary and mundane. It takes the stars and cosmos and grounds them into a fact of quotidian life. That alas, is how Ad Astra too will be remembered, as a journey to space that has its moments but is altogether unremarkable.
    I love space. I love Heart of Darkness. You'd think Heart of Darkness in space would be awesome. Thanks for proving me wrong. I want the last two hours of my life back.
    0.03 laughs/min. 13.9% of movie spent tense. Hypnotic photography and score, as well as some excellent thrills. Pitt brings an earnesty to McBride's struggle with daddy issues. Jones is brilliant and empathic in his desperation. Beware of space baboons.
    pretty uneventful. came off a bit preachy and the climax just didnt seem to matter much. all in all some interesting perspectives but i wouldnt watch again nor will anything stick with me.