Aladdin

Full Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Nasin Pedrad is the saving grace of this film that made me not give it a half star
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    I went into this movie thinking I would hate it, because I absolutely love the original, grew up on it, had it memorized line-by-line as a 9-year old. Surprisingly, I did not hate it. I actually liked it. It was a fun, light-hearted adventure story / romance / musical that was well-paced and had some gorgeous visuals and great performances. The humor was actually pretty funny and I found myself laughing out loud during a scene featuring an excruciatingly awkward meeting and an over-mentioning of jams. Will Smith actually does make the genie character his own by playing him in a more haughty-fashion-designer-meets-Hitch kind of way, rather than try to emulate Robin William's brilliantly frenetic man-of-a-thousand-voices persona. Aladdin and Jasmine are likable and have decent chemistry, and Jasmine in particular kind of steals the show with her more passionately politically-ambitious take on the character, combined with some powerful new musical numbers. My wife and I in particular enjoyed "Speechless." There are also some very visually creative sequences, such as a singing chase through the streets that keeps switching film speeds while maintaining mouth sync to create a fun and artfully cartoonish sequence. I felt like the humor generally felt pretty organic and not forced or awkwardly shoe-horned in, unlike some other live-action Disney films of late I could mention. It also doesn't have fake-woke messaging awkwardly inserted in embarrassing ways. It has good positive progressive messages for both boys and girls without being preachy or virtue-signaling, and I appreciate that. No, this film is not a visually stunning work of artistic perfection like the original cell-animated version, but it's a genuinely fun watch. I was happily surprised and delighted. I recommend this movie for kids, families, or couples who just want to chill and watch something to cheer themselves up after a long day.
    Full Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    The story line was NOT the same. If you are a fan of Aladdin the original do not watch this. So awful.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    Not a bad live-action movie. As a movie for the whole family, it's fun to watch. It is no 1917-type movie or a film that can win an oscar for best picture, but just a good movie.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Once I put looked past my distaste for Disney remakes, this actually turned out to be a fun and nostalgic revisit. While It didn't exactly blow my mind or revolutionize anything in film, it's still worth a watch if you loved the original as a kid.
    Easily the best of the live action disney remakes!
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Doesn't add a crazy amount of substance to the original. If you had to choose between this or the original you should just go for the original. But if your looking for a decent film with great performances and special effects you can give this a try.
    Watching the first time I was comparing it to the cartoon. I still enjoyed it a lot. Watching it the second time I really enjoyed the movie for what it is. I really loved the actor playing Aladdin.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    It has the typical high production value you'd expect from Disney's pocketbook. However, it feels like a 90-minute story padded out to an excruciating 2 hours and 15 minutes. Mostly because it is a 90-minute story padded out to an excruciating 2 hours and 15 minutes.
    I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed it. I came in thinking it was gonna be terrible. Is the animated version better? That is subjective. If this movie came out first and the original now. Maybe everyone would say the animated version sucks. Naomi Scott is gorgeous and made a great princess Jasmine. She reminds me of Catherine Zeta-Jones.