Amazing Grace

Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    It is a wonderful moment in history captured on film of an iconic singer at her best. If you love talented singers, gospel music and/or the queen of soul (Aretha) .... you are in for a treat.
    Absolutely beautiful and moved me to tears.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Recording of the spellbinding performance which transcends the pared back simplicity of the visual.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    It's hard not to be overpowered by the 1972 documentary featuring Aretha Franklin singing a gospel album. She's recording at the Reverend James Cleveland's church with his choir. Sydney Pollack, who was just a young director, was originally calling the shots. In 2010 and 2015 it was almost released, but it was blocked by Franklin. Finally, after her death the movie was released. It's immersive, and does what you're expecting. If you don't like the singer (and how could you??), or can't stand Gospel music then this is one you should stay away from. I shouldn't score these concert films, but this is about the best that can be done. Final Score: 6.0/10
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Good but not much there...
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    If you love her, love the music, you'll love it. No real storyline - just real footage.
    Not at all what I expected. This is RAW FOOTAGE with very little editing. 90 minutes of her powerful voice. I enjoyed it very much but my dad fell asleep! But to be fair he's not a big fan of gospel music.
    A must see! Makes me wonder why it was snubbed by any major award giving bodies.
    As a child, my mother would play this album early every Saturday morning. So I woke up to it on a weekly basis. I never once thought I would be able to see the recording of what was the basis of so many of my dreams. I'm truly grateful this was finally released. I can now see just what a craft it is to record music and just how uniquely talented both Aretha and James Cleveland were. This is not so much a movie or a documentary as a historical record. Those expecting a biography may be disappointed but every true fan (especially each of us whom grew up in the church) is grateful for the experience.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Even though I'm not a huge fan of gospel music, this movie really made me appreciate Aretha's voice.