Arcadian

, 91% Fresh Tomatometer Score
  • Led by a trio of strong performances, Arcadian blends family drama and post-apocalyptic horror to visceral, emotionally stirring effect.
  • , Rotten Tomatometer Score
    Calum MarshNew York Times
    A competent director can do only so much with a poor script, and “Arcadian” is littered with shortcuts and screenwriting clichés.
    Peter DebrugeVariety
    Unfortunately, Brewer and screenwriter Mike Nilon ignored an essential rule: Conceiving an original monster isn’t nearly as important as coming up with compelling human characters.
    Ross McIndoeSlant Magazine
    Even as the shotgun shells start flying, it makes time for the quiet dramatic moments that carry its family drama forward amid the carnage.
    Bob StraussSan Francisco Chronicle
    A simple but perfectly serviceable dystopian thriller that’s a little too mysterious for its own good yet still serves up tight suspense and cool, icky monsters once it finally gets going.
    Bill GoodykoontzArizona Republic
    Brewer goes for broke and it pays off.
    Richard WhittakerAustin Chronicle
    Every time you think you have its physiognomy figured, some new sinew stretches or fluid erupts, something else to which the boys have to respond. This is, after all, their story, and Cage steps aside so that we can see them grow and flourish.
    Sharai BohannonA Nightmare On Fierce Street Podcast
    This movie is for Nicolas Cage fans who like it when he's more subdued and grounded. It's also a cool vehicle for Jaeden Martell to show us he's grown into a serious young actor. Also, it has one of the sickest creature designs in a hot minute.
    Nate AdamsThe Only Critic
    Equal parts “I Am Legend” plus “A Quiet Place" and I mean that as a compliment.
  • , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Patrick McDonaldWBGR-FM (93.7 FM - Monroe, WI)
    Good horror & dystopia, but with teens front & center isn't this about 10 years past the trend? Saw it at SXSW with a sold-out crowd and there was a reaction to one scene a that produced a crowd gasp sound I'd never heard before. So yeah, that's a recco.
    Charles KoplinskiReel Talk with Chuck and Pam
    As I said, there’s a sense of familiarity to the film, yet what makes it worthwhile is the intimacy Brewer and his cast establish.