Barbie

, 88% Certified Fresh Tomatometer Score
  • Barbie is a visually dazzling comedy whose meta humor is smartly complemented by subversive storytelling.
    Juan BarquinAutostraddle
    Beneath all the laughs at the expense of men and women is the sad truth that this brand of essentialism itself, of separating Barbies from Kens, of emphasizing their differences, is the thing that damages us the most.
    Sergio Burstein Los Angeles Times
    One of the best films of the year in cinematographic terms, probably the best comedy that we have seen in a long time, and an extraordinarily entertaining product that promotes the value of searching for a more cohesive society. [Full review in Spanish]
  • , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Caroline SiedeGirl Culture (Substack)
    Barbie isn’t as streamlined as my favorite girl comedies, but it’s more thematically ambitious than many of them too. And I’ll take flawed ambition over plastic perfection any day of the week.
    Leonard Maltinleonardmaltin.com
    When I became a father I searched for movies that would show my daughter positive role models, and it was tough going. Barbie makes up for lost time and should warm the hearts of parents and daughters alike.
    Damian LevyDamianMichaelMovies.com
    In a world where blockbuster films are surrounded by digital landscapes, Barbie’s devotion to practical production is outstanding.
    Sheri FlandersChicago Reader
    Greta Gerwig serves up a frothy confection of fashion and fun coupled with searing social critique of the iconic doll in the movie Barbie.
    Philip ConcannonThe Skinny
    Before she hits the road, being in Barbie Land is just as pleasurable for the viewer as it is for these toys. The depiction of this world is a triumph of imaginative design and skilful craftsmanship.
    Pete Vonder HaarHouston Press
    That Gerwig was able to essentially hijack a two-hour toy commercial (and a magnificently visualized one at that), one that cost $150 million, and deliver something approximating a progressive message, is just short of miraculous.
  • , Rotten Tomatometer Score
    James WeggJWR
    Why was this made?
    Nina BracaUproxx
    Throw in Billie Eilish’s melancholic tear-jerker and an intentionally butchered pronunciation of The Godfather and the movie was bound to be an instant classic. And you, too, have the power to take your Birkenstocks out of the closet in 2024.