Blumhouse's Fantasy Island

It was entertaining, but the story was horrible. The movie is not very terrifying, or even thrilling. It was a little interesting, and that is what kept me watching but story sucked hard.
    Island makes guest fantasies come true until they go wrong because they're all part of someone else's fantasy, whose fantasy is part of someone else's, whose is part of someone else's etc.
    Disappointing, just very disappointing. This COULD have been a movie like BIG or the dozens of other "What would my life be if I had done this instead of that?". Even Star Trek TNG had a storyline where Captain Picard sees his life if he didn't become a starship captain. He sees his proper English children gathered in his house at Christmastime. That's his fantasy! But this movie fails. It's a shame, because I heard nothing about this movie, so I had no preconceptions going in. I liked the old TV show, so I had great hopes for the movie. But this movie MAKES ME MAD! Because I want to see the results of living a life over - and this film only touches on it. It's a set-up with no payoff. It's what we called blue-balling when I was a teen; when a girl gets a boy excited and then walks away, leaving him...er...you get the idea. lol Should you watch this movie? Sure, but be prepared or something will turn blue. The first fifteen minutes were great! I paused my streaming, grabbed a snack, and settled in to watch a "wish fulfillment" movie. I love them! Why? Because I really wonder what my life would be if I made different decisions. I would love a do-over. In fact, I'd love several do-overs. Alas, the movie deteriorated into a mixed up series of mini-stories which were not interesting.
    Decent watch at best, could watch again, but probably won't, and can't sincerely recommend. I had to watch this twice to make sure I followed what happened, I thought it was because I was really tired the first time, but nope, it made about as much sense the second time. A lot of this is just the writing. I don't know what is with writers and mysterious islands (I'm looking at you, "Lost"), but it makes them crazy: just because ANYTHING could happen, doesn't mean it needs to. The problem with "Lost" is that they were actively reacting to viewer reactions, trying extremely hard to produce episodes that didn't match predictions (allegedly keeping the audience guessing), but that just makes disjointed story lines that wildly diverge for no reason. This movie is basically that happening all in one go. The reason that the audience can draw lines is because a pattern is established by the written story, diverging breaks that pattern; it does not enhance it. This movie keeps some movie mystery clues in there, but there is a LOT of wild diverges and acting within acting here that I can't elaborate on without spoiling it (it's the one "great" thing about this movie, so I won't). There is a high quality way of writing that involves red herrings and proper misdirection, but this is not it. The end result looks the same, until you review what happened and realize that the first was based off the information given and the second is based off of arbitrary writing decisions. The mystery of the island itself interferes with the traditional mystery aspect as well. Even in ghost mysteries there are rules to follow. When there aren't any rules left, you can't predict and the story actually gets boring if not frustrating. I am not saying this movie is without worth, but I am going to say that I feel bad for Lucy Hale as she's definitely the best of this movie.
    THIS REVIEW DOES CONTAIN SPOILERS - DON'T READ ON IF YOU DON'T WANT IT SPOIL ANYTHING. Now for the actual "review". I think people are forgetting how to just sit back and enjoy movies. Everyone has to be a critic and rather than letting themselves become immersed in the film they look for things to critique. It's time we forget about that and just enjoy it. With that said, it takes a lot for me to not enjoy a movie. This is one that I sat back and let myself fall into the world the filmmakers created and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The ending was slightly disappointing in the fact that some visitors to the island did die. The fantasy of the island is that it does indeed show you that not all of your fantasies have the happy endings or results you expect. So each fantasy should have a lesson to be learned. Well, that did indeed happen here but some learned the lesson with their lives. It's supposed to be a fantasy it should finish as a fantasy not reality. I could totally see a series in this slightly warped world though. Most definitely. If you haven't seen this yet, I did warn you of the spoiler but I do believe, either way, if you sit back and just relax, you should enjoy the film for a guilty pleasure.
    I get one night a week (if I'm lucky) that my wife and daughter go visit my wife's family and I get me time. I wasted that on watching this movie, and I have to live with that. This movie took a cool premise and did nothing with it. The mysterious man that runs the island was wildly miscast. Even the twists that were interesting the writers obviously didn't care enough to even try to think them out in a logical way. Don't waste your time.
    It didn't deserve an 8, it was actually entertaining, but the twist sucked so bad, due to the earlier actions of the character. They sacrificed character development for a dumb twist. Again, a generally entertaining movie that lost it's shot at a sequel, a straight to streaming sequel but a sequel none the less.
    2 stars is generous.
    An absolute waste. Fantasy Island is one of those films that really can't decide what it wants to be. It was marketed on horror value but it lacked any substance or teeth of a horror film. It was so tame, that removing a scene or two would have placed it into that PG-13 hell of unknowing that it wanted to be. Mind you, I'm all for the idea of putting a horror twist on a classic stupid idea of yesteryear, but this movie was just horrible.
    Horrible writing and extremely boring plot line.