Booksmart

Typical teen type stuff… on the eve of their high school graduation, two academic superstars and best friends realise they should have worked less and played more so try to cram four years of fun into one night. It is hardly an original premise and under Olivia Wilde's direction it labours in some sections. There are some memorable elements but ultimately it is pretty overhyped.
    Honestly, I had low expectations when I saw the blurb. I was pleasantly surprised at how the cast & crew managed to take a tired plot centered around a stereotypical protagonist and then subvert those stereotypes. They created a film with a fresh script with fleshed out characters, humanizing archetypes and nuanced storytelling. Well done.
    The girl version of Superbad. Somehow this film manages to be original, cliched, and very entertaining at the same time. It should have been nominated for best original screenplay for sure.
    This movie tried so hard to be woke it hurts.
    Oh, how I laughed! out loud, belly laughs. It was so smart and fresh. The 'friendship-wobble' which seems to be in every movie of this kind, was bearable if expected. A new favorite, and a film I've been telling everyone to watch.
    Booksmart may not add anything new to it's genre, but it still manages to shine bright with great execution and brilliant performances from duo Kaitlyn Dever and Beanie Feldstein.
    I LOVE this one. Paid to see it in theaters twice then probably watched it like 4 more times at home lol. GREAT soundtrack, really good acting by the main AND side characters, somewhat predictable plot but with some twists as well. Also really funny dialogue. I love introducing people to this movie, I've made many people watch it with me hehe.
    Based on reviews and personal recommendation from friends, I expected to like this movie, but it really exceeded my expectations on all levels. We were all laughing out loud the entire time! The whole cast and crew are so talented and I'm so proud of co-writer Emily Halpern, as a fellow alum of the same high school, years later. I can't wait to see more of her work!
    Night before high school graduation high jinx. Adorable, but typical.
    I'm too old for this sh!t