Brightburn

Full Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    As far as I know, the idea of a less-than-perfect or evil Superman-type character isn't new and has been explored in a number of different comics. Nevertheless, I haven't read them, nor have I seen it on film before making ‘Brightburn' an interesting concept. Unfortunately, whether it's due to a budget constraint or a lack of imagination from the writers, it never even comes close to exploring its full potential. What we end up with is horror flick that has a few delightfully creepy and gory scenes, but ultimately thinks too small, is too predictable and somewhat weak in execution. No doubt the idea remains interesting and, if we're lucky, this could be the film that paves the way for a whole box of interesting possibilities.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    As a subversion of the Superman mythos, Brightburn doesn't quite work. It has a lot of opportunities, but it all happens too abruptly and it goes more for gritty fun than it does for any interesting insight. As a slasher movie where the villain has powers though, it's really quite a bit of fun. Not perfect, not by a long shot, but still quite a bit of fun. I actually really like the idea of the mother not being able to accept her child's turn, that felt really genuine and almost true to how I imagine parents of real killers must feel. When people are approaching him in scenes not knowing he has powers too, there is a tension to knowing something they don't know. Then when we do get to the superpowered killing, it is gritty and over-the-top in it's brutality in a grim and satisfying way. Not to mention, without going into spoilers, the movie ended in a way I really didn't expect. It's not a great movie, it really didn't achieve the potential it could have grabbed at, but it's still a good time for a horror film that's a bit different.
    Great movie! It's not your typical super powered movie.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    wish it had a little less jump scares and more story but over all still a great film
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Really good fun, cartoonish gore was a greet topping to the overall creepiness.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Interesting! Love liz banks.
    Full Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Do not, do not, do not watch this movie. It's horrible and extremely graphic and disgusting. The premise sounded good, but the movie is not. SO much gore for no reason, and it's painful to watch this. They could have written this better as the story line had promise, but someone from hell wrote this, obviously and made this just horrible to watch. Let me give you an example: Have you seen the movie "Mother" with Jennifer Lawrence? That movie was so horrible and hard to watch, but compared to this movie, Mother was a 5 star. Does that help give you context?
    Full Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    This movie demonstrates a lack of imagination.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Brightburn is an interesting film. Looking at it aside from the whole evil Superman thing, it's entertaining as a horror film with some seriously brutal imagery. It's also pretty cool that it involved a comicbook-esqu tinge on the story. Unfortunately the movie struggles with pacing as well as not having a backstory that actually makes us care about the characters. Speaking of the characters, the casting is very impressive here, if only the script had given the cast more to build off of. Luckily the movie is a gripping ride, regardless of its faults.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    The story wasn't compelling enough, although the gore was apt.