Brightburn

Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    this picture can will be a perfect new super "Dark universe"
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Beating The New Mutants to the punch as the first legitimate superhero horror movie, Brightburn offers some solid scares and gore effects but the Gunn brothers-helmed script doesn't go very far with the solid idea of an evil Superman with copyright-friendly Clark Kent coming off as more of an overpowered demon rather than a genuine malevolent version of the classic DC character, even if Sony legally can't call this a DC movie. Especially since there have been other movies that have used the "Beware the Superman" trope, meaning that hype isn't as big as it once might have been a decade ago. Brightburn seemed like a good idea on paper but as is, we got a painfully average horror movie whose villain just happens to have comic-book superpowers.
    Best movie of all time
    Refreshing inversion of The "Superman" Trope. It's interesting to see a Superhuman who is not Human at all, He's here on a mission and it's not to Save Us.
    Full Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    I thought this was a boring ass movie. Mediocre at best, plainly repetitive at worst. Because the dialogue seems fake for me and I feel like I've seen this a thousand times before. Like the jumpscares and the drama cliches. You literally watch the same scenario play again and again while it doesn't feel like it connects for 1hr and 30mins. Someone looks for the kid/mini expotition, jumpscare, then murder. And the song at the end? Laughable man... There are films which explore similar themes that are far more memorable than this garbage.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    This movie is what you'd get if 16-year-old Zack Snyder directed a dark Superhero origin story. It's like Man Of Steel, but with most of the deaths happening while the credits roll, rather than beforehand. Brightburn is supposed to be a horror film, but never really establishes the appropriate tone, and is mostly a family movie, with all the prerequisite bickering you'd expect of a couple raising a son on the brink of puberty. The film feels more like the pilot episode of a show that never got picked up. The acting is solid, especially from Elizabeth Banks, but as the film goes on the characters make increasingly bizarre decisions, one of the only things it has in common with horror flicks. It's never explained why a baby who fell to earth from outer space grew up to be human, or why he needs to leave a calling card at his crime scenes, other than driving the plot. It's feels like The Omen remade for the Marvel, or more appropriately, DC generation. It only runs an hour and a half, so its not a huge waste of time, but more a squandering of an interesting premise, and a disappointment that I was already over by the time I started writing this review.
    Full Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Everything set up here is explored so thinly and it all just succumbs to a tacky, cheap jump scare horror. It's about as bare of a story as you can get for this type of "evil child acting innocent" trend of thriller.
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star Icon
    A nicely reimagine if superman went bad
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconEmpty Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    I liked the premise...and Elizabeth Banks is always awesome. I didn't love it. But it was a surprisingly "realistic" take on this particular situation we've been presented before...if there was a social commentary I didn't get it but at least I got "if you give a kid a gun..."
    Full Star IconFull Star IconFull Star IconHalf Star IconEmpty Star Icon
    Been excited for "Brightburn" for months now, just saw it & I have both admirations and disappointments. It's a copy of the Superman backstory alright, but that I already knew and it's not a problem. This one rules them all. I don't want to start with the problems though, let's talk about the positive side. First of all, the GORE! Gotta love good gore. There's not a lot of it, but when it is - it's impressive, some quality practical effects mixed with cgi. Next little thing I noticed that I really liked was the subtle, well-placed comedy moments, I could swear it was a touch of James Gunn right there. The cinematography, the score, acting & characters were pretty much definitely above average & enjoyable to watch. The main problems I had with "Brightburn" included, for one, pacing. The first 40 or so minutes were nice, going up and up, exciting and all, definitely an 8/10 at that point, but then it started using too much cliche horror tropes, not enough action for the climax & Bad Guy by Billie Eilish as the credits song. That last part is alright though. To put it simply, "Brightburn" got more generic towards the end. Maybe I wanted a little more story as well? Not sure. I know one thing - If they get more budget for the sequel, let them come, I'll be there to see it. One little thought I had during the movie which doesn't affect the rating is that the name of it is kinda lame, based on what meaning it has in the movies universe. I suppose it counts as a spoiler, so you'll have to go and see the movie yourself. Overall an enjoyable experience & a bit irritating, because there's parts of it that could've been a lot better. My rating: 7/10