Catwoman: Hunted

Although grown to become a tribute towards the specialized medium unnaturally unbalanced with unique assortments that supportively stretches the superhero genre, it already became an instant, solid entertainment by exceptionality in the animation and the charismatic performances delivering such witty dialogue throughout, therefore a suitably fitting treatment for its titular antiheroine. (B+)
    A fresh addition and deviation from the standard DC Animation offerings. A decent story, nice animation and a good soundtrack make this an above average movie.
    Worse than bad: mediocre. Painfully bad dialogue, jilted characterization, whatever plot there was meandered aimlessly, with terrible pacing and non-existent setup or payoff. It gets an extra star only in that the animation was pretty good during the parts of the fight sequences where people were actually fighting and not standing around quipping or waiting for other people to finish their quips. The only thing I genuinely loved was the way Catwoman's whip was utilized to look and act like a cat's tail while it hung around her waist, something only animation could pull off convincingly, but that was mainly frustrating to see executed so well just to be wasted on such a terrible movie.
    With its weak story and action, horrendously bad dialogue, and animation by the same studio who did ‘Pokémon', of all things, ‘Catwoman: Hunted' looks and feels like something aimed squarely at 9-10 year olds. It's cheesy and practically unwatchable as an adult, but I guess it could have worked for a younger audience if it weren't for some blood and that one overtly suggestive scene. Long story short, the moment some dude busted out purple robot armour, I'd had enough. I did put it on double speed so that I could get to the end for the sake of an accurate review and just in case there was something worthwhile later on. There wasn't.
    I really liked the idea of this movie, Catwoman is awesome, and I liked the art and the characters and the voice acting. The problem is trying to be too many things at once: Is it the same Selena Kyle as from "The Batman"? She looks the same, and she talks about Onya, but now Onya is alive, and Selena acts too smooth to be the same character (and then they try to squeeze in a continuity to the 60s!?). Is it real world? Well, it seems to follow gangsters and be a spy movie, right up until they literally start pulling demons out of their butts. But the biggest problem was there was no heroes journey. Selena doesn't learn anything, doesn't make any sacrifices. She starts in the exact same place as she begun, and that's boring. E.g. I would have loved to see her betray Batwoman in a way that hurt her, regret it, and then have to fix things.
    I give Catwoman: Hunted a solid 4 stars. Fun watch, well worth an hour of your time. Catwoman herself is great, as is Minerva; the rest of the villains don't get enough time to shine, but such is the way of things in a short movie. I'm not 100% sold on the voice of Batwoman, but it works, and her chemistry with Selena is good. Overall: cheesy, but fun.
    This is an excellent movie in so many ways. I've already seen it three times - and each time through I pick up on stuff that I missed the previous times. I've never particularly cared for either Catwoman or Batwoman - in the past I never read any of the comics that starred either of those characters - but after this movie I had to revise my opinion. These are great characters. I still probably won't read the comics, but I'd definitely look forward to seeing these characters again in another movie. The voice actors did a fantastic job with the characters, and the animation matched the voice well. They clearly had a very talented crew working on this and I can tell they put a lot of thought into what they were doing and how they were going to do it - though I would have tweaked a few minor things, I have to admit I'm in awe at some of what they pulled off. The voice actors and animators did a far better job capturing these characters and making them interesting than any other animated or live action movie with either of these characters that I've seen before this: the interactions between Batwoman and Catwoman and some of the others really made the movie work for me. In fact, the team did such a great job that this is now my favorite animated superhero movie, displacing the previous favorite Batman and TMNT (also a great movie with lots of really well done character interaction mixed into the action). There is a lot of humor in this movie - some of which is so subtle I missed it the first time through - and the bad guys and gals have lots of nasty surprises for the home team which keeps things interesting and fast paced. I go out of my way to avoid watching previews - which tend to be triumphs of marketing over substance that all-too-often present a highly inaccurate view of a movie. Doing this also ensures that I get to enjoy the surprises in a movie as they happen - this movie definitely delivered in that department, especially near the end, with some great surprises. Overall, this movie feels a lot like an old-school James Bond movie, from back in the day when they didn't take themselves too seriously. My one complaint - and I won't take off a star though I suspect many others are doing exactly that because of this issue - is that they really needed a few more minutes of run time, some of the transitions were a bit too fast. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll do a Director's Cut.
    While very much a case of style over substance, Catwoman: Hunted may have a very bare plot and stripped down characterizations but when it features Catwoman in anime surely of all combinations this one can be forgiven for being style over substance? And what style, the motion and music combine with such flair and finesse that the onscreen action is gripping to watch even if we aren't always gripped by the heroes' fate.
    Trite, relying on gimmick rather than ability, this is a sub-par DC Animated film and does both Batwoman and Catwoman a disservice. If this is indicative of the new direction the DC Universe animations are heading, I'll just re-watch better, older animations.
    This movie was corny, awful and predictable. Catwoman deserves better.