Compliance
Becky and Sandra aren't the best of friends. Sandra is a middle-aged manager at a fast-food restaurant; Becky is a teenaged counter girl who really needs the job. One stressful day (too many customers and too little bacon), a police officer calls, accusing Becky of stealing money from a customer's purse, which she vehemently denies. Sandra, overwhelmed by her managerial responsibilities, complies with the officer's orders to detain Becky. This choice begins a nightmare that tragically blurs the lines between expedience and prudence, legality and reason. -- (C) Magnolia

"A riveting, horrifying film, shot through with beautifully observed moments of unwelcome truth."
‑ Tom Huddleston, Time Out
"This is one insistent film, more evocative of human behavior than movies that take fewer risks ever could be."
‑ Bill Goodykoontz, Arizona Republic
"A frightening look at the power of authority and the human desire to avoid conflict."
‑ Wesley Lovell, Cinema Sight
"Compliance is a horror movie with no sudden frights, no gore, and not a single scream. It's a surveillance video, capturing us with all our blemishes; a reminder that how we see ourselves is so rarely in line with the truth"
‑ Simon Miraudo, Quickflix
"Compliance is a disturbing, exciting and instructive film about matters we should all be prepared to face."
‑ Philip French, Observer [UK]
"Compliance is one of the toughest sits of the movie year 2012. But it's an uncompromising and, in its way, honorable drama built upon a prank call that goes on and on, getting worse and worse for the people on the other end of the line."
‑ Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune
"Like a John Hughes movie hijacked by Roman Polanski, this troubling indie effort lays bare the sadomasochism of the American workplace."
‑ J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader
"It never loses sight of its goal to persuade us to be more aware, more questioning of our leaders and institutions, from politicians to priests to, in this case, the police."
‑ Al Alexander, The Patriot Ledger
"That the events in Compliance are taking place in a fast-foot restaurant is equally resonant. The junk food we see being prepared couldn't be more disgusting. Surely, you can't help but think, anyone prepared to swallow that will swallow anything."
‑ Jason Best, Movie Talk
"Zobel is canny enough to gradually intensify the level of discomfort to ensure the characters' increasing irrationality feels honest in the situation, regardless of how out-of-whack it seems from a distance."
‑ Alistair Harkness, Scotsman
"The point of Compliance, which caused walkouts and shouting matches when it premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, is how we are programmed to do things that go against our natural instincts as long as we believe we have the law on our side."
‑ Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald
"A disturbing, fact-based look at the ways in which people can be bullied into bowing to the demands of authority figures."
‑ Calvin Wilson, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
"The only film of 2012 that had me actively booing its villain - a mundane monster who doesn't need to touch his victims to scar them for life."
‑ Margot Harrison, Seven Days
"The perfect companion piece to your copy of Fast Food Nation."
‑ Ed Whitfield, The Ooh Tray
"If a movie's success is measured by its ability to get under our skin and provoke a reaction, then this might be the film of the year. Designed to make us furious, this drama pushes us to the brink as we shout at the characters for being so naive."
‑ Rich Cline, Contactmusic.com