Concrete Cowboy

Fascinating film. Really captures the reality of hard work and getting by. A sweet story line between estranged father and son is the main theme and makes for captivating viewing
    Excellent performance by the leads, seemed a little choppy, like there were scenes missing or cut out. This easily could have been a three hour movie had the cuts not been made though. I would have enjoyed more backstory and more filling in of information in between, no spoilers, but more detail could be needed for anyone who can't read between the lines.
    Outstanding! Will watch again...
    A surprisingly Conservative story that demonstrates the value of Hard Work and Family.
    While it has some pretty great acting from the entire cast, Concrete Cowboy focuses on so many surface level ideas that not only is it boring, but it also makes one wonder whether it would've been better if it was just a documentary.
    a great movie can put up with one of the surprises so far.
    This movie surprised me. It was heartfelt and made you think about life from a different perspective. Give it a chance. I really enjoyed it!
    The movie starts off with some really nice opening shots. We get to know Cole, which we early learn is a troubled kid. We see a typical thing that kids are doing when they have to pay for their actions and have to face consequences, they suddenly want to stay with their mother. The first time we see Cole and Harp meeting each other we already see that they have a difficult relationship. I was not a fan of the sequence when Cole and Smush are driving through the city, the camera and style of the cut are not for me. Cole´s first meeting with a horse is an instant trigger to think that this will be his way to the right path. I didn´t like the cinematography, much blur behind the characters in a lot of scenes. But suddenly they are doing really creative and exciting shots, very weird. Cole´s character development is kinda realistic to what I think a young boy in a completely new setting would be, but it's also kinda annoying in the beginning to the middle part. Not the biggest fan of Harp as a character. The father/son scene in the middle of the movie is really good and gives Caleb McLaughlin a chance to show an emotionally acted scene which he executes really well. The scene where Boo one horse of the group is escaping and Cole being the one to ride and save the situation is really boring and lazy story-telling, the melodramatic touch with the rain annoys me even more. I once again have to criticize the camera work during the escape part from Smush and Cole, really weird throughout the movie. The beginning of the last act wants to show us what Cole has learned and if he is making the right decisions now. A moment that really frustrated me was when Smush is getting shot. The cut is too fast, there is no good score behind it, everything is rushed, we don't see enough, just poorly executed of a possible epic scene, really sad. So they buried Smush and after he is buried they find Cole. So he was gone for a week? WTF. Left confused as a viewer, here. The "rescue" of the horses is a super unrealistic scenario the way they made it. The score in the scene where we are at Smushs grave is so overdone and wrong for me. Acting critic: Caleb is doing a solid job as Cole here, some moments are really good (father/son scene, his early steps in the new life, etc.) Idris really has a hard time mostly because his character is maybe the worst written in the whole movie. Jharrel Jerome is the surprise of the movie for me, he kills the role of Smush. The story is okay, nothing special some up and some downs, the final part is where they lost a possible better rating for me. Still something you can easily watch.
    Concrete Cowboy (2021) is a Netflix film starring Idris Elba and Caleb McLaughlin, and tells about a young teenager named Cole who goes to live with his father in Philadelphia. His father has be largely absent from Cole's life, and Cole is repeatedly getting expelled from schools. When he gets to his father's, he is pushed to the edge by the strict rules and the literal horse in his living room. His father is able to break-through the walls Cole's put up teach him the valuable history and legacy of Black American Urban Cowboys. What works in the film: The relationship between Cole (played by Caleb McLaughlin) and Smush (played by Jharrel Jerome) is really nice. The performances by the real-life cowboys is really good and feels authentic to the plot. What doesn't work: The relationship between Cole and his father Harp (played by Idris Elba) leaves a lot to be desired. Harp is a man of few words and spends a lot of time not talking to his son, which feels like a punishment of sorts. It doesn't even come off as authentic to the character, since there are so many scenes with Harp hanging out with his cowboy community. This feels like more of a deficiency of the script. Also, the movie at time feels like a splicing together of scenes rather than a cohesive story. Overall, Concrete Cowboy is an enjoyable film to watch, but it could have been a classic with some stronger writing, more time, notable moments.
    A character study movie that avoids the territory of cliche. Plus, it was shot in my hometown. :)