Crimes of the Future

When biopolitics becomes an actual form of power, biology itself becomes a form of resistance.
    It carries a very hard concept to deliver, but this film pulls it off with exceptional casting and production work.
    Thirty minuets was more than enough! Far too bazar to watch any more of this nightmare.
    This was absolutely horrible. Disgusting. Waste of time. Makes me rethink my admiration for Viggo. Smh
    i'm all for artsy avant-garde type films, but this just wasn't good. the ideas are interesting, but it could've been executed so much better than it was. surprisingly, Kristen Stewart was the best part of the whole thing for me. i found the rest to be slow, boring, & unrealistic (?) - the weird chair he sits in to eat looks like someone's lousy art project; could've maybe benefitted from CGI instead of using someone's bad prop-making skills.
    So I guess they didn't have Fisherman's Friend in the future. I could barely understand Mortensen's character with the constant throat-clearing and his drab voice. The film is beautifully shot with excellent cinematography, stunning S/VFX and sets, and the score was on point. The casting and performances were decent and convincing. The 107 min runtime felt much longer with the slow pacing and the dragged out story. This film needed more substance and action with less filler, or cut down to a short film. The story was uniquely Cronenberg's style, and aside from some decent eclectic scenes, it was dull and hollow. Even as unique and intriguing as this art-house sci-fi was, it lacked the depth, excitement and pizzazz Cronenberg's The Fly had. You might like this if you're a Cronenberg fan, but probably wont if you're not into his style of filmmaking.
    Its agonizing when watching this movie to think what other filmmakers could have done with this concept. The human race evolves the ability to feel no pain and this movie is about focusing on making some strange nauseating art out of it??? REALLY?? thats all they do with it? This movie never goes into all of the existential issues that humanity would have to deal with, that would be very interesting, that would come with that type of evolutionary problem. Utter pseudo artistic garbage!!! Don't waste your time with this movie theres absolutely no point to it! Just another example of taking a giant dump on a canvas and calling it art. The point I want to make is, is that a great movie is art, a bad movie about art is just a bad movie.
    A misunderstood satire about the art-world and politics. Also about the meaning-divide between the artist and their audience. Cronenberg shows us lurid violence and sex while telling us it's only there because we demand it. Just as no one in this film understands what Mortenson's art is about, we, as an audience are being told that we don't understand what Cronenberg's films are about. ***REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS*** We follow Mortenson's artist, who holds live performances that eroticize the removal of extra, mutated organs. Much of the story is set into motion when he has to consider the question, would you parade the mutilated corpse of a child in your show if you knew it would generate a big buzz? Soon we're surrounded by fans and art-fetishists who are erotically obsessed with the minutiae of his performances and the equipment he uses. His close assistant (Seydoux) believes she is near Mortenson's artistic level, but turns out to be a hanger-on who doesn't really understand what Mortenson is or what he's doing (she could even be viewed as solely responsible for holding him back). Mortenson gives these people control over his performance, and what they produce is an empty, politically-manipulated obscenity. It's the people around Mortenson who are obsessed with surgery and sex. He is uninterested in sex. He can't even have sex, he's no longer the same species they are. His scene in the surgery bed with Seydoux satisfied her fetishes, not his. The art-world is keeping Mortenson from transcendence. He's stuck in constant pain, fetishizing "not being" with the fakers, rather than allowing himself to become what he is and embrace his change. In addition to all this, his art gives a venue to political forces who will co-opt it and use it as cultural propaganda against the people who inspired it. There is also sharp commentary here about the trans-humans being fetishized by the art-community. While everyone praises the performers who pretend to have mutations, the true trans-humans are reviled and being actively killed by society. They eat goo, wear white t-shirts and have bad haircuts. How could the art-world care about them? They're not even remotely marketable. The artist (Cronenberg) is here for his own reasons, which have nothing to do with the perverse kinks of theater-going normies like you and me. He's tossing us red-meat while trying to make us understand that we're missing the point. Like Stewart's character, we might believe we completely understand the artist's meaning while we're only getting a surface-level thrill from the imagery. Like Seydoux's character, we may be faithful wannabes who want to touch something truly special and new but for selfish or superficial reasons. Regardless, none of us really understand what the artist is trying to say, because we're fixated on the window dressing. Bowie said that everything he ever wanted to say is in his chords and melodies, "the words just jolly it all along". I think that's what Cronenberg is saying. I'm probably wrong. When it's proven that I'm wrong, will I have committed a crime of the future, or a crime of the past? Be sure to leave your thoughts in the comments section.
    Too strange for my taste. Felt like a waste of good actors in a bizarre artistic movie. It was odd and mostly boring. The way it started I thought I would love it apart from the atmosphere.
    Makes absolutely no sense... boring and not that gory!