Downhill

The joy of outdoor activities. So this is about a family that is having a ski vacation in the Alps. They are having an outdoor meal when a controlled avalanche is scheduled, the only thing is that they didn't know it is scheduled or controlled. The father (Will Ferrell) makes a fight-or-flight decision in the heat of the moment, and his relationship with his family may be forever changed, especially with his wife (Julia Louis-Dreyfus). Now, this was not a movie that I was looking forward to, and it wasn't due to the tepid reviews. I've seen the 2014 Swedish film that this is based on, Force Majeure, and I don't care for that movie at all. I may be the only one who thinks this, but I feel that Downhill is a big step in the right direction. Now the reason why I wasn't a fan of the original was that so much of it felt like you were watching a couple go through amateur marriage counseling, and it just doesn't make for a pleasant experience. That is present here to be sure, but where Downhill wins huge points from me is that it tells this story so much more efficiently. They managed to slice over thirty minutes off the story and it greatly benefits the flow. I just reread my original review, and I was very harsh on it because there was so much fat that could have been trimmed off. Downhill clocks in at about 80 minutes when you subtract the end credits, and that in itself makes the uncomfortableness far easier to withstand. I did enjoy Julia Louis-Dreyfus' performance in this; she was the voice of reason for this in me, and when she decides that she is through being gaslit, it gives you someone that you can root for. I appreciated Will Ferrell's acting in this, but I wasn't a fan of his character. I understand that he is going through the grieving process, but when you have someone in your film that does nothing but make poor decisions, you just want to see them take a backseat. Positives aside, I'm still not a huge proponent of this story. I do like the premise and typically enjoy awkward dramedies, but when you break it down, you are watching two people go through individual midlife crises. It does push the envelope at certain points where you can't have any reaction except to laugh, and that is where Downhill is at its most successful. I still didn't appreciate the cynical message about relationships, but I do think the cast all does the best that they can. Watch this if you like, and I would recommend you go with this over Force Majeure any day of the week.
    It was not bad actually
    Super awkward, hard-to-watch, whiney, uncomfortable movie for the first half which makes the very rare 10-second-good-jokes hard to enjoy after being on a shitshow of a ride for the most part. Billie's (and the couple in general's) attitude in the first half of the movie is so pessimistic and annoying and grating that it was so hard to hang on and keep watching at first... such a constantly negative vibe with every continuing scene and just makes for an unenjoyable experience even when there is a little joke. Most jokes were awkward and hard to appreciate when Billie and Will Ferrell's shit attitudes linger in and out of every scene. The few and only parts I enjoyed were actually laugh-out-loud and always involving the hilarious and inappropriate hotel employee.
    With the irresistibly psychological and thought-provoking elements from the original completely stripped away in this American remake, something very substantial needed to be added in its place. That something is seemingly a misguided attempt at making Downhill a comedy, resulting in it becoming a nothing film really that offers mediocre eavesdropping at best.
    So disappointing. Love Will and Julia. This movie is not entertaining and very depressing.
    There was nothing funny about this movie. No funny moments, just sad. The plot was poor, the story was lame. It was just rotten, too bad because I like both main actors.
    Written from a place of a pathetic person, pretty much a movie about a woman chastising her husband for running from an Avalanch, while she sad there and did nothing to save her kids either, but somehow only he is the bad person. She is a horrible person, so if you are like her you need help. She is closed minded, selfish and self-indulgent and thinks everyone owes her... #failinlife She should have told the kids to run also but sat there and didn't even put them under the table, so she failed in her panic and froze, so as much as him, yet somehow in her own arrogant selfish way seems to hold it over him as if she is a victim. An annoying movie because the female character is selfish, she's unfaithful, but yet the movie holds her to the high ground despite and affair (what a low life)... I can't understand how a writer can justify this rubbish. It's a horrible storyline by a writer who must have serious issues in their own life, assuming female with man issues. Watching this movie took 2 hours of my life that I will never get back. Avoid this, and anything by the writers of this movie, they are hopelessly messed up. The last 30 seconds is how any balanced individual should have handled the first item. By discussing the situation, rather than the 'what about me' social justice disorder that many have today.
    Fallida versiòn americana de la excelente Force Majure.
    Nu e ca Force Majeure dar e pe acolo
    What a disappointing movie. Will Farrell is one of my favorite actors and he really let me down. I wish I could get my time back.