Downton Abbey: A New Era

Good acting..good script..enough plotlines to keep it interesting....a good watch
    Wonderful movie, touching, true to form. Worse popcorn I have ever had. If you are going to sell it then at least make fresh. Went to this theatre only because of the movie.
    I enjoyed the continuation of the story!
    Good storyline for the Downton series.
    I liked the preview with Mr. Mosley that gave a synopsis of the previous season of Downton Abbey. I loved all the happy endings for many of the characters. And I cried at the passing of the dowager. I went to see the film twice, even better the second time.
    A new level of predictability. Over long. Full of clichés and a storyline that peters out way before the end.
    Yeah, I'm pretty much only here for Maggie Smith, even if she's not as sarcastic and venomous as she has been. Downton Abbey: A New Era is what it is - a film that is essentially a high-budget continuation of a long-running TV series beloved by Moms all across suburban America. While the series might have its roots in properties like Gosford Park that acted as criticisms of class conflicts, Downton as a whole is very much a melodrama that expects you to care for or detest characters as a result their participation in illicit love affairs or deceitful plots while stationed in a grand country house; this film version is no different. It foregoes character introductions to jump straight into the plot, and assumes you know who is who (but really the only people who would watch this movie in the first place are series fans anyway). In this particular iteration, the conflicts seem even more gratuitous than you might expect, with young modern aristocrats debating with old creaky aristocrats while the common folk have multiple engagements in the background. There's good production quality here, but unless you are familiar with and invested in these characters already there is very little to chew on, particularly with a film that actively refuses to let a single one of its subplots have any sort of objectively negative outcome. Overall well-made, but very much a crowd-pleasing endeavor aimed at fanservice, showing that such practices aren't limited to MCU films. (2/5)
    Cliche after cliche after cliche. I'm a Downton Abbey fan, but this sorry pastiche has no tension or conflict to really engage an audience, and is a huge disappointment. I've loved Julian Fellowes's scripts in the past (including The Gilded Age), but this is soggy mess, like a mashup of Hallmark greeting cards.
    Absolutely fabulous!
    Thoroughly enjoyable. And unlike the TV show, there were no tragic deaths.