Drive My Car

, 100% Certified Fresh Tomatometer Score
  • Drive My Car's imposing runtime holds a rich, patiently engrossing drama that reckons with self-acceptance and regret.
    Joe MorgensternWall Street Journal
    What it is can be summed up in a word that's often used loosely but fits the case here-a masterpiece, a mysteriously enthralling creation that keeps you guessing about where it's going, then reveals its essence with astonishing clarity.
    Stephanie ZacharekTIME Magazine
    The movie is tender like a rainstorm: only in the aftermath, after you've allowed time for its ideas to settle, does its full picture become clear.
    Manohla DargisNew York Times
    "Drive My Car" sneaks up on you, lulling you in with visuals that are as straightforward as the narrative is complex.
    Carlos AguilarRogerEbert.com
    Drive My Car devastates and comforts through its vehicular poetry of the sorrow from which we run, the collisions that awaken us, and the healing gained from every bump in the road.
    Vikram MurthiAV Club
    Drive My Car effectively captures the double-edged nature of storytelling as a means of both processing and deflecting emotions...
    Richard BrodyNew Yorker
    Patience is richly rewarded in the three-hour span of Ryusuke Hamaguchi's theatre-centered tale, adapted from a story by Haruki Murakami.
    Jared MobarakJaredmobarak.com
    It's an invigorating experience that never feels excessive in its run-time because we need each new dynamic to grow before its revelations can be earned.
    Todd JorgensonCinemalogue
    Although it sometimes feels relegated to the slow lane, this character-driven Japanese drama rewards patient viewers with a multilayered study of redemption and reinvention through art.
    Liam LaceyOriginal Cin
    A drama of adult intimacy and meaning-of-life questions, Drive My Car is a refreshing adult road-movie examination of the unsolvable puzzle of other people's lives.
    Steve EricksonGay City News
    Drive My Car does not really come together until its final hour, but it accumulates an enormous charge by that point.