Everything Everywhere All at Once

Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert (A.K.A Daniels) bring audiences a fascinating film about a Chinese immigrant who becomes entangled in a multiverse-spanning adventure after trying to do her taxes. BAFTA nominee Michelle Yeoh stars alongside Stephanie Hsu, Ke Huy Quan, James Hong, and Jamie Lee Curtis in one of 2022's most exciting films. ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once' follows Evelyn Wang (Michelle Yeoh), an overworked Chinese immigrant who runs a laundromat with her husband Waymond, while also dealing with the strained relationship she has with her daughter and her judgemental father. Amid juggling her personal issues, Evelyn must attend a meeting with the IRS to discuss her business' web of finances. However, what occurs during this meeting will change the course of Evelyn's life forever, taking her on a mammoth journey across the multi-verse that makes for one of A24's craziest films. Even though ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once' is a film that features wacky, unpredictable action, Daniel Kwan and Daniel Schienert direct a film that, despite its crazy fight sequences is packed topfull of complex emotion. The directing duo bring audiences a film that manages to inject powerful emotions into some of the wackiest scenarios you'll ever see. Perhaps the film's ability to balance heart-wrenching sentiment, outrageous comedy and erratic action is what makes it such a unique film, even by A24's boundary-pushing standards. ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once' does carry a hefty runtime with its daring storyline, coming in at 139 minutes, even longer than this year's other multi-versal event, Sam Raimi's ‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness' which is only 126 minutes. However, unlike its Marvel counterpart, it audiences a more thorough insight into the world's many universes. We get to see universes where Evelyn (Yeoh) takes on careers like being a professional singer, acting and a Teppanyaki chef, as well as worlds where humanity evolved to have hot-dog fingers or places where life was never born, thus resulting in Joy (Hsu) and Evelyn taking on the form of rocks. This scene between Evelyn and Joy surprises viewers who will end up crying at two rocks engaging in a subtitled conversation about the complexity of life. Michelle Yeoh and Stephanie Hsu both give magnificent performances and by the end of the film audiences will be excited for their next outing together, which as of May 2022, the pair have both been announced to star in the new Disney+ series ‘American Born Chinese'. Hsu's performance as both versions of Joy make you feel like you're watching two vastly different actors and makes for performance you can't draw yourself away from. Ke Huy Quan also delivers a brilliant turn as both versions of Waymond, one as a feeble and wimpy version of Evelyn's husband and the other as a skilled fighter and multi-verse traveller. However, the highlight of both Quan and Yeoh's performances comes towards the end of the film in which alternate versions of Waymond and Evelyn discuss what could've been in a scene that emanates films from acclaimed director Wong Kar Wai. Jamie Lee Curtis delivers a hilarious performance as Deidre and the alternate versions of the mundane IRS officer. Audiences are thrown in for an emotional rollercoaster when they sit down to watch ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once', dealing with themes of acceptance, divorce, love, and the complexity of mother/daughter relationships. So not only does the film deliver on it's promise of an ‘insane adventure', but also tugs at your heartstrings. The film is filled with top-notch craftsmanship, ranging from clever editing that elevates the project to another level and an impressive screenplay from Scheinert and Kwan. This is a film that isn't afraid to be unapologetically silly or ridiculous, and perhaps that's what makes is such a special film. ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once' is a film that puts a wacky and refreshingly unique spin on the idea of a multiverse, made popular by Marvel's ever-growing universe of films. Directing duo Daniels create a film that not only entertains with it's interesting and thought-provoking story, but also with its impressive technical factors and performances that will hopefully make it a contender in the 2022/23 awards season. The film joins the ranks of some of A24's best films, sitting on the same shelf as films like Greta Gerwig's 2017 coming-of-age film ‘Lady Bird', Mike Mills drama ‘C'mon C'mon and Ari Aster's terrifying horror ‘Midsommar'. Taking its audiences on a wild ride across the multiverse, ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once' takes its spot as one of 2022's best films already and brings a ground-breaking story to audiences across the world.
    The best film of the year, Michelle yeoh and cast absolutely phenomenal. So excited to see their names in awards season
    Masterpiece and Cinema. Everything Everywhere All at Once lives up into its title and chooses a brand new creative style to tell a story. A family story. It's not all even about the family because it teaches us brand new things we can't tell or explain because that's how the movie is. Absurd, funny, heart-warming and amazing at all senses with one of the best cast that i saw in all time, YOU WILL LOVE ALL THE CHARACTERS! (eventually maybe) but it hides a good feeling about them as the antagonist that we can understand its personality. I will never forget about this movie.
    Too long and not even funny
    Very enjoyable, unexpected twists in the storyline. Fun, fanciful, action packed, sci fi, emotional, philosophical time well spent.
    One of the worst movies I have ever seen. It was awful and I couldnt wait for it to end so i could leave. Shouldn't have wasted my money.
    At times, an assault on the senses for sure. Very moving, absolutely whacky... who in their right mind came uo with this? Thoroughly enjoyable, at times very funny, just amazing. Michelle Yeoh leads spectacularly.
    This is the best movie I’ve saw in a long time. It’s realistic and such an emotional and connecting movie. I balled my eyes out at the end and the editing was amazing and music with it. The acting too, wow it felt so real and just thinking about it makes me emotional. I totally recommend it to anyone watching it, even there’s some unusual parts it connects.
    Even though the story and trope did seem a little cliché, I feel like it was executed amazingly. I certainly didn't expect to cry so hard from the final message of the movie, but it really impacted me as a queer Chinese American. The fighting choreography was out of this world, and the same ones from Shang Chi too!
    Try to watch without getting any spoilers on the plot, it's much better. Just a fantastic movie with crazy action and heart. Reminded me a bit of Kung Fu Hustle in a silly/goofy good way. Excellent ensemble cast and a fun ride. One of my favorite movies of the 2020s for sure!