Final Account

, 92% Certified Fresh Tomatometer Score
  • Final Account falls shy of the definitive statement suggested by its title, but the belated reckoning on display remains chillingly valuable viewing.
    Stephen RomeiThe Australian
    I am fascinated by movies and books that push aside our view of history, one informed by hindsight, and take us to what it was like at the time it was happening.
    Paul ByrnesSydney Morning Herald
    Final Account is made from of a fraction of what he got - perhaps not more than a dozen or so interviews - but it's a monumental achievement, an implacable and revealing record of the corruption of a generation.
    Glenn KennyRogerEbert.com
    At first I felt a little put-upon, but the aggregation of multiple details forms a terrifying and hideous picture.
    Brian LowryCNN.com
    The ringing message throughout "Final Account" comes from the famous quote attributed to Edmund Burke, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
  • , Rotten Tomatometer Score
    Richard BrodyNew Yorker
    Holland reduces interviews to snippets and sound bites and turns the work of investigation and commemoration into a mere survey.
    Richard RoeperChicago Sun-Times
    An invaluable documentary that hears the reflections of former soldiers, guards and prison camp workers...
    Witney SeiboldCritically Acclaimed Podcast
    The final look at Nazi Germany from the people who were there as youths. It reveals how difficult - and how terrifyingly easy - fascism is to live with.
    Alex HeeneySeventh Row
    Holland reminds us of this reality by interviewing his subjects in their homes, where signs of a full, uninterrupted life tell us that they simply never had to face their culpability in any real way.
    Morris YangIn Review Online
    As a document made to endure the revisionism and relativism that appears when one least expects it, [the film] offers living proof that the need for accountability is never final.
    Brett McCrackenThe Gospel Coalition
    Accurate knowledge about the Holocaust is disturbingly low among Millennials and Gen Z Americans ... I hope this film is shown in high schools across America.