Flora and Son

, 93% Certified Fresh Tomatometer Score
  • Another music-fueled crowd-pleaser from writer-director John Carney, Flora and Son proves almost impossible to resist.
  • , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Craig MathiesonThe Age (Australia)
    As made clear by Once, music has an inspirational and transformative strength in the movies of Irish filmmaker John Carney. His latest Dublin-set feature is almost as satisfying as his 2007 hit.
  • , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Tim CogshellFilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles)
    A very messy movie. I shouldn't like it as much as I do, but I do.
    G. Allen JohnsonSan Francisco Chronicle
    Resistance to this emotional, melancholic gem is futile.
    Adam GrahamDetroit News
    Flora and Son is a small story that knows its boundaries and doesn't try to become more than it is. But it comes alive thanks to Hewson's spunky performance and Carney's belief that music can bring people together...
    Alonso DuraldeBreakfast All Day
    I was utterly charmed.
    Christy LemireBreakfast All Day
    [Eve Hewson] is awesome in this movie. She's so funny and so real. She just has... this really authentic presence.
    Fletcher PowellKMUW - Wichita Public Radio
    It makes all the difference that Carney truly believes what he’s telling us.
    Ana YorkePopMatters
    More than anything, it is this combination of realistic and romantic storytelling that will win you over.
  • , Fresh Tomatometer Score
    Dan BuffaRamble On With Buffa (Substack)
    The music isn’t as catchy, but it doesn’t need to be. The movie works and succeeds on its lead star’s stamina, and should settle in after viewing. There’s a part of me that was left wanting more.
    Christopher CrossAsynchronous Media
    It’s the moments in between the notes that stand out in an otherwise predictable screenplay of dreamers and the lovesickness that often accompanies them.