Gaia

The idea was good but the final product was a disaster
    Utter garbage. It tried WAYYY too hard to be "artsy", the characters behave in completely nonsensical ways (yes I realize it's a horror movie and that's what characters do in horror movies), and the bizarre choices of camera movements are more distracting than anything. Why have the camera upside down? To indicate a character's disorientation? That's just lazy and film school 101. I have no idea how so many professional critics found this movie enjoyable.
    Don't listen to the people who said the movie went slow, I have seen much slower. Think the director lost it in the 2nd act with his vision tho. Overall an original movie BUT they completely stole the artwork (clickers) from last of us game. Not sure if people worked on this movie worked on the game.
    The film has good visual ideas and attempts a decent go at the atmospherics, but personally it doesn't quite deliver. Maybe the director couldn't execute a vision that was planned, or maybe he didn't have the tools to do so. It tries to be in the same ball park as films like Without Name or They Remain, but instead comes off as an independent artsy type movie.
    It's a shame the movie is such a slow burn with a great part of the second act with not much happening thrilling enough because there is definitively an interresting premise and on original approach in what it is dealing with. Has some visually striking moments and ideas but falls short of making all this really engaging and effective.
    Another indie eco-horror released this year. A bit ago I watched In the Earth, and it was one of the worst and seizure-inducing movies this year. Gaia was a significantly better tho, in both visual effects and story. As with most eco-horror, the experience was like taking mushroom and tripping the entire time. This movie was overloaded with creative and breathtaking visual effects. I was often enthralled, especially the long scene where the main character was in a long trip. The designs and looks of the creatures in the movie was also good, although the camera was a bit shaky and unclear when they appeared. Story-wise, it wasn't anything new. The main theme was about nature claiming back its place. The movie was also a environmental commentary on human since the Industrial Evolution. Still, there was a pretty good twist to the story, and I enjoyed it at the end. However, the story didn't always come together logically. It felt like the movie focused too much on the visuals that the it pushed the borderline over to style-over-substance. Overall, an okay horror despite great visuals. 6/10
    This was strange film and yes I played the last of us but still really strange film
    Anyone who likes this movie is a weirdo man. The story talks about a new virus living under the earth and this crazed scientist worships it with his young son. The scientist preys on this young kid and then the movie turns away from the entire plot just to focus on sex scenes with this predatory chick on this young innocent kid (this is the first girl he's ever seen). The biggest waste of time. So much potential turned rotten, more than all of the trees and all of the poor souls this disease infected. Zero stars if I could.
    the only thing good about "gaia" was its visual depiction of rotten corpses, engulfed and entangled with nature. the ONLY thing. oh right, and it stole the aesthetics of the fungi-creatures from "the last of us" - that's plagiarism right?
    Slow moving with shallow characters. The plot was muddy and poorly executed with little consistency and depth. The monsters were a direct rip off the "Clicker" from the video game "The Last of Us". The design, sounds they make and their blindness all exactly the same.